Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Near Future Assault Rifle

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JonConley polycounter lvl 8
I've been working on this the past couple of days using solely probooleans and then a little hand tweaking in max. Took the pieces into zbrush and dynameshed + polished along with some hand smoothing.

Based on the concept here:
http://www.rmory.net/portfolio/blacktank/#prettyPhoto[gallery]/3/

You can also see a decimated version here:
model

Replies

• MediumSolid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MediumSolid polycounter lvl 8
    I also use non-destructive method for modeling most of my hard-surface object. Care to share pic of you're model in WIP stage with boolean operators still enabled? Nice model, I appreciate the effort but I'm gonna be honest here, the gun is fairly generic. It's  like a cross between Kriss Vector and ACW-R. 
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also use non-destructive method for modeling most of my hard-surface object. Care to share pic of you're model in WIP stage with boolean operators still enabled? Nice model, I appreciate the effort but I'm gonna be honest here, the gun is fairly generic. It's  like a cross between Kriss Vector and ACW-R. 
    I completely agree with you. This is my first modern rifle (3rd weapon total). It mostly was me wanting to try out this workflow a bit more. It seemed interesting enough to do, but easy enough to not give me any major problems while learning.

Pre-zbrush:

• JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up the low poly the other day. 13.5k tris currently but may add a few things to help sell the screws and such. 

model
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    awesome stuff so far dude, can't wait to see this one textured
  • Shockwave9001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shockwave9001 vertex
    Since I'm not a 3D guy, I can only comment on the design. My main concern is that the pistol grip is way too curvy, even organic perhaps compared to the rather straight and angular everything else of the weapon. 

That all said, the weapon overall looks very balanced. Nothing's standing out, or too tall or anything. I think a vertical foregrip, a stubby one perhaps, would really add to it. 

Keep it up, I'd love to see it textured and rendered. 
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sziada appreciate it. Yeah, that is the part I've been most looking forward to.
    @Shockwave9001 I can agree some on the grip, but also realize that the back part of the grip typically isn't touched with a rifle, the heel of you hand doesn't wrap around and the only chance is from fingers wrapping all the way around. I think it just was done to give it a slightly less boxy silhouette, I liked it so kept it.

It may take me a little longer to progress on this over the next week or so. I am a software engineer by day and do 3d for fun. I was told today that I passed the phone interview and will be doing onsite interviews for Google.

did a first run at baking tonight, need to fix a couple issues with the cage, but overall it seemed to come out really clean.