Home General Discussion

Need some guidance on making 3D portfolio

kanser03
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
kanser03 polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys, there is a new game development company that will be starting here in the Philippines (You might already heard of it). They are looking for 3D artists of all levels. They did not post any requirements for work experience and formal education about 3D arts, so I was thinking I might have a chance.

Like I said, I have no work experience or formal education about 3D arts. Everything I know, I learned it from tutorials online. It might be too ambitious for me but it's a once in a life time chance and I really wanted it. I might not land a job as an entry level, but if they will get me as intern and train me to do stuff would be more than enough.

So, any tips on how should I make my portfolio?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    kanser03 said:
    Hi guys, there is a new game development company that will be starting here in the Philippines (You might already heard of it). They are looking for 3D artists of all levels. They did not post any requirements for work experience and formal education about 3D arts, so I was thinking I might have a chance.

Like I said, I have no work experience or formal education about 3D arts. Everything I know, I learned it from tutorials online. It might be too ambitious for me but it's a once in a life time chance and I really wanted it. I might not land a job as an entry level, but if they will get me as intern and train me to do stuff would be more than enough.

Use www.artstation.com.
    Only put your 3-5 best works on there.
    If that doesn't land you the job, apply elsewhere and make a new, better portfolio piece and replace your worst one.
    For what it's worth, I am self taught with no game dev schooling. Formal training is only important if it focuses you, your personal drive trumps all.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    kanser03 said:
    that will be starting here in the Philippines

Another outsourcing company?

Practical tip from me would be to have portfolio samples similar to what you see in secret6's 3D gallery - they're the guys who do outsourcing art for Naughty Dog.

Good luck.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    kanser03 said:
    that will be starting here in the Philippines

Another outsourcing company?

Practical tip from me would be to have portfolio samples similar to what you see in secret6's 3D gallery - they're the guys who do outsourcing art for Naughty Dog.

Good luck.

It's Ubisoft.
  • kanser03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanser03 polycounter lvl 2
    Quack! said:
    kanser03 said:

Use www.artstation.com.
    Only put your 3-5 best works on there.
    If that doesn't land you the job, apply elsewhere and make a new, better portfolio piece and replace your worst one.
    For what it's worth, I am self taught with no game dev schooling. Formal training is only important if it focuses you, your personal drive trumps all.
    Thanks for the tip. I didn't know I only need that much to put on my portfolio.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    kanser03 said:
    Quack! said:
    snip
    Thanks for the tip. I didn't know I only need that much to put on my portfolio.
    Quality over quantity.  When I am reviewing portfolios I often say "They should have left this out of their portfolio."