Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio piece, honest feedback needed.

Stenofo
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Stenofo polycounter lvl 2
Hello everybody.
The following image is a portfolio piece I made according to the specifics of the latest major assignement I got, a 2d isometric citybuilder.
The project was meant to be realistic in style. Maybe I pushed this too far and the building fels kinda archviz in style. I got the permission to use the game lighting rig. Only differences wit the game are more realistic proportions than than in-game and the somewhat higher resolution render.
Now, this is my problem:
I got some frank, negative fedback from a couple relatives/acquaintance (don't lough). It boils down the fact that the piece does not cut it. Best explenation I got is something like:
There's something odd with the rear roofing border, it looks taller than the rest.
That shook me.
I'm positive this is because those persons aren't used to isometric, point is this building would probably not cut it for a gamer/casual gamer. And not even for a possible employer.
My question:
Can anybody point out major flaws? Should I get ridd of this piece immediately? Or should I wait and make something better first? Any feedback would help immensely, thanks.

Replies

• renanfab
    Offline / Send Message
    renanfab polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Stenofo, nice work you got there. I really liked your piece and i'd like to suggest some changes. 

- Some textures seems to be really big. The ones in the roof for example, seems really big to this with all the other textures. 
    - IF you are looking to something more stylized and less realistic, you shouldnt abuse of the textures 100%. It would look better if you take an solid color and overlay with these textures of yours with 10%/30%/45% of opacity. It will give you a cool look and wont look that realistic. 
    - You could implement AO in your texture if you not using, 
    - I would agree with people told you in your last feedback. The height's border of the roof seems really short, it gives a weird impression. Or u exagerate that and gives a nice shadow light to your piece, ur you dont create this at all and create a flat roof. But from now, it gives you a short outline border and looks weird.

Hope this will help.
  • Stenofo
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Renanfab. Thank you very much for your feedback, it's very appreciated.
    Now, let's go with some order:

- I tweaked my textures, in particular the roofing and balcony ones. In isometric usually you get small sprites and they have to be readeble, but they were too huge. 
    - Good idea about the overlay, but probably I'm not going to use this in this particular image (unless I decide for a shift in style, that is)
    - I added some more ambient occlusion. I might add more, the following pic isn't the final one.
    - I added a consistent border to the roof, currently I don't think it's very readeble, I'll tweak my materials.
    Also:
    - I rotated by 90° the roof windowing, it should look better. 
    - I'm tweaking my pool water material, now the pool walls don't look brown anymore. Work in progress anyway..
    Here is my latest render:

• Cyph3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Hey I really like this to be honest. Looks like something you'd seen in an RTS like Red Alert 2! My only gripe was how big the texture was on the roof but you've fixed that :)
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    I am not sure if the chimney is too bright, to me it looks a bit of out of place, like its glowing
  • Stenofo
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Cyph3r: thanks for your feedback!
    @Doxturtle: I'm experimenting with a different chimney, I wasn't convinced at first but you were right about the material. Thanks!
  • Stenofo
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello folks. Thanks to everybody for your feedback, it helped a ton! I'm happy I decided to get here on Polycount.
    Here is what I call the final render. Much better than the starting one..