Home General Discussion

Ready Player One "Create 3D Avatar" for upcoming film

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CJFerguson polycounter lvl 7
Did anyone else see this competition on talenthouse? https://www.talenthouse.com/i/create-a-3d-avatar-for-ready-player-one

I tried to make sure I'm not double posting, but I was pretty curious as to what people's interest level was in this. I think it seems pretty cool, but I know little to nothing about character art.

Anybody going to try and submit?

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Oh wow, one of the rewards is exposure!  Here I thought exposure was only something you died of in the wilderness.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/exposure

Honestly, even with the possible $1000, I think stuff like this is disappointing.  It's a multi million dollar movie.  They can afford to just hire people.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    I think the worse part is they wan't people to assign rights over to Warner Bro. before they're even judged o-O. IE You don't win the $1000 and your stuff is still used in the movie ;\

+ I didn't enjoy the book -that- much, so It'll be interesting to see how the movie turns out.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I agree Praetus. 

Also:

"Other artists may also be chosen and have their avatars possibly appear as background graffiti art in the film. These artists will receive $250 in exchange for an Assignment of All Rights."
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Might submit what I can whip up in a couple of days. Otherwise it seems to be pretty not worth it.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I do support having fan competitions and giving a chance for someone to get their name out, but you can see directly that they have chosen something were quality won't be too big of an issue, and that in the end they will just get free work done.

with such a big company the prices are really bad, either have no monetary prices or give something worthwhile, the price money wouldn't even cover the cost they would pay an artist to create the same thing.

A bit extra shitty when it's people from the same kind of industry and background starting these competitions
  • CJFerguson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJFerguson polycounter lvl 7
    I guess if you were a die hard fan of the book it might be worth it? If nobody with any salt submits I wonder if they'll put it in the movie anyways. That might be the funniest outcome. A super malformed avatar in the background of a Spielberg film
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    copyright does seem an issue all in itself here when creating an avatar that fits the theme of the book since it's all just straight up reuse of 1980's popular IP. with that in mind i find it interesting that they don't go into providing examples of acceptable avatar designs.