Home General Discussion

Digital Tutors Vs Gnomon Workshop

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
TheKlu polycounter lvl 9
Sorry to make this post, i've been looking for other people's posts about this, but they are kind of old.

So that's my question. I already have a very decent experience with 3D, not that much with sculpting.
I'm looking for more professional tutorials. I've heard that Gnomon is more profesional, but i don't know.
I don't want to learn animation that much or game engines. More film focused than games.
So yeah, what would you say guys? DT or GW? Or well, if there's something better let me know lol

Replies

• sefice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    It depends on your skill level and also your budget. Both have lessons on film and gaming.

Digital-Tutors (now recently rebranded to Pluralsight) is a way better option if you're just starting out. They have a free trial subscription which gives you 50 tutorials and 1000 lessons. Their paid subscription gives you access to everything in their library.

Gnomon's lessons are more expensive but you have instructors who worked on big ticket productions from film/games. They don't have a subscription based model like DT has that I'm aware of but Gnomon is more known for their classes not their training DVD's and if you could afford them, it would definitely help you,

I'd say grab a DT subscription and absorb as much as you can before moving on to Gnomon classes and their DVD's for more specific lessons.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Used to sub to both at some point long ways back, I found Gnomon to be the better quality and more in depth while digital tutors was always good for their intro to .......... type ones, when you wanted to pick up new software.

but I really don't feel with youtube tutorials and google or even quite inexpensive udemy/gumroad tutorials you are really going to be gaining much these days from digital tutors but that will of course depend on the person, maybe you like their structured style.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Digital Tutors = University course
    Gnomon = Masterclass/Workshop
  • TheKlu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheKlu polycounter lvl 9
    Entity said:
    Do you have any idea if Digital Tutors certificates are useful in any way when you want to get a job?
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    While they are both very good, I find DT will offer alot more introduction and intermediate tutorials while Gnomon seems to be geared towards more advance techniques.  If you are starting out I'd definitely say go with DT.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    TheKlu said:
    Entity said:
    Do you have any idea if Digital Tutors certificates are useful in any way when you want to get a job?
    They are about as useful as a college degree... which is to say not useful at all.

No one cares how you learned.

Probably actually even less than a college degree because afaik you can't use it to help you get a work visa.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I noticed some of digital tutors content was literally just rehashed tutorials from Unreal Engines YouTube channel that were free.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    TheKlu said:
    Entity said:
    No, they're not. Even certificates from actual universities are next to worthless. Your portfolio should show your skills, not pieces of paper.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    university diplomas are good for working visas and some companies, that you probably wouldn't want to go to anyway,
    but I'm guessing the digital tutor certificates are not any official papers, so they probably have no real meaning.
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    merwynl polycounter lvl 8
    Both are excellent in their own right. Digital Tutors is great if I have a very specific feature about a software that I wish to learn about. Like many here have already said, Gnomon is slightly gear towards more advanced technique. I find it to be really useful for workflow/pipeline techniques. But you can also find some great introductory videos on Gnomon as well. 
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    I like both of them. Digital Tutors in my opinion does a great job in teaching stuff in a really structured and focused way, but the quality of the work is not always that high and the knowledge does not always go really in depth, so I would say it's great for learning general workflows and getting a quick overview of new programms. Gnomon has more of this secret-industry-pro-knowledge, but sometimes they are less structured and harder to follow, especially for beginners. Also I find Gnomon is quite expensive. Great alternative is also Gumroad, many really talented people have awesome tutorials there which are quite cheap for what you get.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    as far as i know gnomon has switched to a subscription model like most online infoproduct websites. smart move on their part, their dvds were being torrented like crazy. For the wealth of information availiable from industry vets, i wouldnt consider their price expensive at all, as long as you actually apply the knowledge taught in their videos. 

Personally, if i am looking for a learning resource, I would go on a project to project basis. If I am doing a big organic scene, I would search out the best trees/foliage tutorial online and buy/subscribe to that site while im working on it. much more focus and less scatterbrained approach. sitting there learning about sci-fi cable modeling when you are trying to work on a medival castle is a bit of a waste of time and money. optimize your learning and your results will skyrocket. 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I feel like there's a lack of curation when it comes to tutorial content for game art. There's thousands and thousands of hours of content, and they cost thousands and thousands of dollars, but there's no tutorial reviewers or great rating systems. You never really know what you're going to get unless they have an extensive sample video or it's popular enough to have comments and a thread. 

It's not like a normal product or media where you can find reviews, ratings, professional reviewers with their own opinions. You just have to hope you are getting what you wanted.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    The idea to have a tutorial review system is a brilliant one Zack. There's so much content nowadays ranging from absolutely terrible to outstanding that some sort of guide is highly desirable.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I'd also like to throw 3dmotive.com in the race. It also has a subscription, comparable to digital tutors. But they have higher quality projects/tutors in my opinion and are focusing on game art.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I thought we tried to make a tutorial review thread and it didn't work out, We could always try again
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    sziada said:
    I thought we tried to make a tutorial review thread and it didn't work out, We could always try again
    Link?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    The gumroad thread had reviews. A forum really isn't a suitable format to manage reviews.
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    merwynl polycounter lvl 8
    I personally feel that reviewing a tutorial could possibly be counter-intuitive. Reviews tend to be rather subjective and opinionated based on the reviewer's experience.  What some might consider to be a sub-par tutorial, there are others to which they find really useful. Not saying it can't be done. Just think that the reviews themselves need to be structure in such as way to remove as much bias as possible but that's just the cynic in me speaking.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    beefaroni said:
    sziada said:
    Link?
    http://polycount.com/discussion/137585/gumroad-tutorials-list/p4

muzz was trying to incorporate into this thread
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    In my experience, digital tutors is more for learning the tools, where Gnomon is more for mastering the craft.
  • TheKlu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheKlu polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks everybody for helping me! You are great, guys!
    I'll go for Gnomon beacause I already know veey well. I mean, i'm quite good on 3D, but I'm looking to master my 3D skills, so i think is the best option, thanks again! :)
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    lefix said:
    I'd also like to throw 3dmotive.com in the race. It also has a subscription, comparable to digital tutors. But they have higher quality projects/tutors in my opinion and are focusing on game art.
    that's really variable. They used to only have top notch people but for the past couple of years maybe they released a lot of mediocre material, in my opinion. Looks like the curator changed...