Home Technical Talk

3D scan for materials and scenes

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi guys,
I am not a designer, I am not related to computer games, so I am asking for your help.

I would like to start new sphere of work - 3d scanning for materials, scenes and assets. 
I know some games have already done this.

I can make as stones, gravel and structures, so I can make real building....I can make some half-destroyed buildings...
I know I need to make re-topology and PBR maps, but I already know some ppl, who can help me with it. 
I am asking: 
1. what is the average price you are ready to pay for such material/model?
2. are you going to buy such?
3. where is the best place to sell this models? 

Here are some examples I did several moth ago. It was not intended to make such models and materials. It was just for myself. The models should have a better quality, even lighting etc. This is just to show what type of product I am going to make, but not the quality.

model

model

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    It really is going to depend on the quality. A good benchmark might be to look at somewhere like surfacemimics's quality/pricing for the texture scans (or if you intend to create full sets of metal/rough maps all the better) photos canned textures are becoming the norm so there's a lot of competition. Megascans from Quixel on the way(or so they have been saying for what seems like years) And lately, Allegorithmic are getting in on the act.

Assets-wise you could look at somewhere like the Unreal marketplace to see what sort of quality/pricing you'll be competing against. I don't think there are many (or any) vendors offering photoscanned assets, rather they are built from scratch, so you might have a niche there.

And check out the Epic Games presentation  on the photo-assets they created for the kite world demo. 
  • the_fly
    Thank you very much. Your answer is really appreciated. 
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    You're welcome. Best of luck with the project. :)
  • EarthQuake
    I think in general, people will be more interested in material scans than 3D models. Especially if the materials are of high quality, come with all the standard maps, and tile. 

3D models on the other hand I think would have less interest, unless they are very generic and you offer multiple levels of detail (every project will have different requirements for models).
  • the_fly
    What are general multiple levels of details? Could you post an example or just explain the criteria? 
  • EarthQuake
    Well, if you intend for someone to use a 3D scan directly in production, it would need to be optimized for real-time rendering. This means you would create a low poly model with efficient uvs and bake the high detail scan to a normal map. Now, every project is different, so it may be okay to have a 10,000 triangle rock in one game, another may need a 5,000 or even 1,000 triangle rock. So you would want multiple versions of the same rock created with varying levels of detail, to appeal to the largest group of potential customers.

Additionally, I don't think there would be much appeal to assets like what you're showing with the Globa Park scene, as this is a very specific place and wouldn't be useful unless I wanted to replicatedexactly this place, and even then, I could only use it for reference as it is very rough and inaccurate, this sort of scan isn't much use for production. A better example of something that would work well would be a single column, if scanned with very good accuracy/detail and requiring no cleanup, which could be used in any number of ways.
  • the_fly
    Thank you! 
    About the current quality - it suxx, i know. I just wanted to show the idea of the product. Thank You!
  • the_fly
  • the_fly
    how about this one? 
    there will be no grass and no shadows.

• the_fly