Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Corey Hill Portfolio: Looking for as much feedback as possible!

Sullum97
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Sullum97 polycounter lvl 6
Hey folks, recently got around to revamping the portfolio due to great feedback I received last time so here's Round 2!

Critiques and comments welcomed and appreciated! Cheers!

Replies

• Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6

Battlefield Hardline Fan Art

-The bright blue/purple background in the Battlefield Hardline Fan Art is pretty distracting and hurting the image.

- You should change the grey background to a purple-ish hue (to add harmony to the color of the image)

- The purple light is pretty cool, but is a bit too saturated

- the tile texture is very noisy

- add a vertical gradient bake for the plants 

- the power-line's post texture is very stretched, and the black shadows are harsh 

- the brown wood roof color doesn't match the scene, also needs more color variation

- the house's wall texture are a bit harsh/noisy, also it looks like the UV is off on the second image (it looks like there is an equilateral triangle texture on the corner of the wall (looks like there is a horizontal seam)  

Alan Wake Fan Art

-There could be more contrast. Again the background is hurting the image because there is so much visible empty space. (Maybe darken the background and have the fog be more of a gradient (the further you go, the more opaque it becomes)

-There should be some bounce light from the lantern onto the wood surrounding it. The light itself should have a very bright center (it looks like it is missing the light source)

A New York Mystery

- the road texture is a bit strange: it feels zoom-ed in/noisy
    - the awning textures need more variety/detail. Right now it feels like a flat color/diffuse
    - The white building sign feels too clean compared to the dismal looking surroundings
    - The texture at the top of the building feels very zoomed in as well

Home by Midnight

- The cabinet above the stove and the crown molding texture is off and also feels zoomed in as well.
    - the contrast (black shadows) in the drapery is harsh
    - the room needs AO (it should be darker in the corners of the walls) 

Mother Winter: Sled and Skis

-The  snow, sled, and wood textures are very noisy.

-there needs to be variety in the texture of the stacked wood

- there is so much negative/empty space (maybe add a floor and make it a diarama like your A Day at the Dunes: Sledgehammer Art Test) (having it float in space is hurting the scene)

- add some stuff in the crates, why would they all be empty?

Boston or Bust!

- it is weird that the post is floating 
    -there is so much negative/empty space
    - the road texture feels cloudy/splotchy (Is the dark areas supposed to be wet?) if so why isn't the whole road that way?)
    - Add some lights, there is no life in this scene (if it is supposed to be  a broke-down/abandoned street, add some stuff on the road (a broken streetlamp, crashed cars, etc)
    - if you don't want to add anything else to the scene, then make the edges a strength rather than a weakness (add some height/depth to the road and/or earth under it/ and you can make it look like a "cut-out" rather than it just ending and looking paper thin and just ending into nothing)

A Day at the Dunes: Sledgehammer Art Test

- the tree texture is harsh (brighten the black shadows a bit
    - add a vertical gradient bake into the circular wood base

Seamless Kitchen Floor Tiles

- brighten the super black shadows

Bar/Arcade Fun!

- it is confusing why there is only a few lightbulbs that are on and the rest are not.
    - the room needs AO (ambient occlusion) (darker in the corners)
    - I would change at least one of the textures on the arcade cabinets to add more color variation (especially since almost all arcade cabinets are different/unique looking) (they all look almost identical color-wise at the moment) (the base paint is black for all of them) the control panels are identical as well (the control panels on arcade cabinets are almost always unique/different looking)
    - the centerpiece (bar) wood needs more value variation and saturation (I would make it a nice saturated darker brown) 
    - the wood and countertops have almost identical value and color (change that)
    - the shadows in the textures of the green chairs has a harsh black shadow
    - the red and green chair textures are noisy
    - add more variety in the liquor bottles (if you don't want to model a ton more, at least make some color variety, but definitely model a few more because that is a huge part of a bar - they should have a ton of different types of alcohol)
    - the light outside the window is very white, maybe add a warmer color to harmonize the image more.

I have to leave work/drive home, but when I get there I'll add more/better critiques.

Edit: But great start on your portfolio though. I like the variety of scenes that you have.

• Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers thank you very much for the feedback!
  • heyeye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    Your prop placement and the sheer amount of objects is great in every scene.

I think one major critique across all of the pieces is the lack of individual quality. There's a lot of tiling textures with uniform grunge that doesn't really send these to that next level. I can go into each one and my eyes immediately catch a material that doesn't look right and really destroys the scene.

For example, in the Alan Wake scene, you have great detail on the trees, ground, and the trash bin. But the pixelation on the roof trim, the extreme normal on the metal sign, and flat normal on the wood planks through the bridge house create an immediate quality contrast.

This is in every scene, and I think if you just step back and brought the quality up of every individual asset, you have some really great scenes here.

Another thing I noticed flipping through is the lightened values in the cracks of some of your tiling textures. It may be a flipped normal issue.

Awesome work though, lots of quantity here to work with, just beef up the quality.

• Sullum97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty cool deal much appreciated Heyeye! I'll keep working on them!