Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I am a begginer and I made a house

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
getNerdGoCode vertex
Hello everyone!
I started out as a developer and I am still learning quite a bit of C++(Will be moving into Unreal soon I hope) and C#(For Unity). Recently I branched out to 3D modeling because I enjoy creating stuff outside coding as well, however as it turns out I suck at it. I have been watching tutorials on how to do things here and there, but there are things that I am still confused about. I tried my luck building a house which I think turned out fine. However, there are things I don't know how to approach. I will list them out as clearly as I can.
/***
When there is a 2 story house (like the one I made).
Do I model, unwrap and texture the first floor walls first and then duplicate that floor and use it for the second floor.
Model a window and a door, unwrap it texture it and duplicate it as I need.
Model the chimney as a separate element to the house.
Model the roof as a separate element as well.
***/
I tried modeling the house as a whole piece and it seemed to work fine, however when it was time to unwrap I had a particular hard time arranging my uv maps in the texture space. The walls would be too small and the texture I applied would look blurry. I don't know if I am being clear or not, so I will post 2 pictures trying to explain my question better.

Now, how would I approach this in terms of unwrapping? I mean I have lots of great projects where they create this awesome houses with 1024*1024 textures. I tried doing the same, but when I set my UVs my textures look blurry and not as cool as other people's work. In short, what I am looking for is guidance. I am sorry for the messy post and I thank you for taking your time.

Replies