Home Technical Talk

The correct approach to texturing striped bedsheets?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
- Livewire - polycounter lvl 9
HI PC, this is more of a simpler problem but one which is giving me a headache none the less, I'm trying to texture these bedsheets with a striped pattern going from left to right and realize that'll be almost impossible to get the pattern to properly deform with each fold once it's decimated, i know it could be solved by doing a colour/clown map BUT, this geometry was made in Marvelous Designer 2, as far as i know there is no way to do that and exporting doesn't give me quads. Now I'm sitting here with the feeling like I've gone about this the wrong way.

How would one approach this intelligently? 
Thanks!

Replies

• GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    Well, I don't know how marvelous work, but I did stuff like this in maya using nCloth. The trick was to texture/UVs first, and then simulate the cloth preserving the UVs. But you can always unfold the UVs and paint it, right?

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also not a MD user, but I thought they created the UVs based on the original panel input? I'm also not a heavy ZBrusher, what options do you have there to transfer UVs from your original MD out mesh to the decimated one? (I'm assuming that the original UV looked like a big planar square)
  • - Livewire -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Livewire - polycounter lvl 9
    I could simulate it in Max using cloth modifier which I'm sure is the same thing but I'm not sure how to achieve big folds like above, in Marvelous I'm able to actually grab and move the cloth which is fantastic for getting the look exactly how you want, in Max I'm at a loss on how to achieve the same natural look. I'm new to MD so if there's a way for the mesh to have UV's then I missed it, but the exported mesh I got from MD had no UV's.

-----EDIT-------
    *some time later*

Here's my attempt using 3DS Max, it looks okay but a few wonky areas appear when you add thickness.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Depending on how you deal with the MD import in Brush you can derive polygroups and uv master based on them. You're never going to achieve the same result in Max cloth as you will in MD, for obvious reasons.