Home General Discussion

Has anyone started out in QA, before moving on to become a 3D Artist?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
DweenieTodd polycounter lvl 3
Hey Guys, long time no post!

Anyway, i've got a QA Testers interview coming up on the 12th this month. Since graduating last summer, it's been an extremely frustrating period, so having an opportunity to still get to the games industry is still good. Thankfully, it's Sony i've got my interview at, so the shift patterns are typically fine for me to able to keep doing 3D work in my own time. 

Firstly, i was wondering if people could help me with the interview itself. The do's & don'ts and any advice. I have some knowledge of test procedures such as Smoke, Regression and Destruction test methods, but i'm still a little nervous what maybe asked of me. If anyone has any tips, or anything they can give me based of their experiences, then excellent!

My main question is, how many of you have started out in QA, before going into a 3D role, and how long did this take you? I see this is a common route for several individuals, and i was keen to avoid QA, but i suppose a Games Industry job is a games industry job at the end of the day. I'm CONSISTENTLY, everyday making 3D Art, constantly progressing and constantly producing. It's what i live and breathe and i'm extremely passionate about the craft, but it drives me nuts everyday knowing i've yet to achieve this D: 

Replies

• Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    '' I'm CONSISTENTLY, everyday making 3D Art, constantly progressing and constantly producing''

that get critiques and comments on your work from the forums and you will at one point soon find something that suits you.

At least, now, you have a revenue while youre at it.
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond said:
    '' I'm CONSISTENTLY, everyday making 3D Art, constantly progressing and constantly producing''

that get critiques and comments on your work from the forums and you will at one point soon find something that suits you.

At least, now, you have a revenue while youre at it.
    In the past i've used the forums, but more often than not, i normally message people i've built connections with to gather critique. Thankfully most of these people have had professional experience. For the past few months i've mostly been improving upon my general 3D Skills, from critique i got from Polycount. I'll end up posting again on the forums in due time. 
  • kernersvillan
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    I started at Epic in 2007 as a game tester for Gears 1 PC.  I game tested for a couple of years and moved up to an engine tester in 2009.  All the while I was working in spare time in 3d.  It took me a while, but I finally got the balls to show some stuff to the guys here, especially Kevin Johnstone who really took me under his wing and gave me great advice and helped me wiggle my way in ;).  In Jan 2012 during Gears Judgment I got the opportunity to "intern", and have been on the art team ever since.

I really worked my ass off to earn that spot, and am extremely grateful I got that opportunity.  Crunching at work, and then going home and working/studying. Hell, I still do that today, as do most here I'm sure ;)  Its a shitload of work, but you have to be hungry.  All you have to have is your foot in the door.  From there just make it known that you are an artist and want to be an artist at the company.  Sometimes you have just pay your dues first :)
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    I started at Epic in 2007 as a game tester for Gears 1 PC.  I game tested for a couple of years and moved up to an engine tester in 2009.  All the while I was working in spare time in 3d.  It took me a while, but I finally got the balls to show some stuff to the guys here, especially Kevin Johnstone who really took me under his wing and gave me great advice and helped me wiggle my way in ;).  In Jan 2012 during Gears Judgment I got the opportunity to "intern", and have been on the art team ever since.

I really worked my ass off to earn that spot, and am extremely grateful I got that opportunity.  Crunching at work, and then going home and working/studying. Hell, I still do that today, as do most here I'm sure ;)  Its a shitload of work, but you have to be hungry.  All you have to have is your foot in the door.  From there just make it known that you are an artist and want to be an artist at the company.  Sometimes you have just pay your dues first :)
    Thanks for that! As i stated, i'm working at improving my work in all my spare time, everyday just consistently at it. Maybe i should use the forums often, but i've mostly been improving my 3D skills, so the projects have been small, but complex props. Thankfully, i have some contacts that are in the industry to get some solid critique from ;)

Unfortunately, the Sony QA Studio is purely QA. However, i've built up several contacts that are currently within the industry, and often in contact with. I appreciate the answer @kernersvillan! Thank you!
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to become a 3D artist, any side job would work just fine. That said, QA doesn't pay well, but is better than working in a shop. It can be refreshing to work in a studio that frequently test different 3D games. The thing is that 3D art cost money. It's not like level design or game programming. You need to have a decent PC, compatible with your softwares, and the days you'll have to frequently pay for softwares updates. It sucks when you work QA and barely have enough money to survive the next month. Find a decent side job that pays well and maybe even give you more time to work on your stuff. That would be my advice.
    Thanks for the feedback. Thankfully, i have a powerful PC to do high intense 3D Art, such as high poly sculpting, hard surface modelling, and large scale environments in games engine. Saved a big chunk of my student finance in my first year to splash on a solid PC build for the purpose that i enjoyed 3D Art. This was around 3 years ago, so of course i've impoved a lot. Of course this isn't about 3D Art purely the thread :)

Money isn't too much of an issue with the role in fact. It pays enough for me to live on my own in the area, and would leave me with enough money to spare. I graduated in July and have been unemployed since, so every bit of my time has gone into making 3D work. :)
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13

My main question is, how many of you have started out in QA, before going into a 3D role, and how long did this take you? I see this is a common route for several individuals, and i was keen to avoid QA, but i suppose a Games Industry job is a games industry job at the end of the day. 
    I did QA for about a year and now Im freelance, the one thing that has me worried about your mindset is the above quote.
    It is not common anymore for people to "graduate" out of QA. It was much more common in the 90's and early to mid 00's when teams were still pretty small and everybody, knew everybody and rubbed elbows.  
    These days QA is not really a road to a Dev position, its a road to more QA. It has to be because it is its own career with it's own paths and needs. It does not exist to facilitate people landing their dream jobs, it exists to make sure that the product that gets out the door is the greatest and most polished product possible.
    Im not saying it never happens, there are people who have been able to jump from QA to a full on dev position, but this is NOT the norm. It is rare and often time it depends on the studio setup (embedded QA, publisher QA, dev QA, or god forbid a QA outsource group). 
    Not trying to burst your bubble or anything but make sure you are in the right frame of mind when you go in and make sure you understand what is expected of you and your role.

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I think it might be a good way to get contacts and a foot in, but don't expect to learn anything during work, all the learning will be on your free time, but you probably already understand that.

One thing you should probably be a bit careful about is talking about becoming QA just to get a foot in and later become an artists, of course it might be the same for many others but as others have said above, QA is a career itself and other people will take it just as serious as you would about a 3d artist job, so some would maybe not feel so great hearing that.
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys :)

@MrHobo any advice on the interview process, or anything i should keep in mind? I have good knowledge of different testing cases such as Smoke, Regressions, Destruction and Soak, as well as writing in depth reports, but i'm somewhat worried about the kind of questions i could be asked and so forth D:
  • 0xffff
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    Blond said:
    Already leagues beyond half the artists I actually work with then.
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff said:
    Blond said:
    No i didn't mean it in any way like that :( I'm just trying to state i do keep it at it all time, as many other artist do. 
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    DweenieTodd said:

@MrHobo any advice on the interview process, or anything i should keep in mind? I have good knowledge of different testing cases such as Smoke, Regressions, Destruction and Soak, as well as writing in depth reports, but i'm somewhat worried about the kind of questions i could be asked and so forth D:
    Youre already ahead of most people starting out in QA then if youre familiar with those terms. So I wouldnt worry too much, the main thing is to show that you think outside the box when playing a game. Think about times you played against the rules and logical thinking that the game gave you. Or given your familiarity with game art if you noctice little things like maybe the texture in the wrong place etc.
    EX: I remember spending a few hours in GTA3 parking a firetruck in the subway to see if it would do anything crazy like the train derailing would happen.
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo said:
    DweenieTodd said:

Youre already ahead of most people starting out in QA then if youre familiar with those terms. So I wouldnt worry too much, the main thing is to show that you think outside the box when playing a game. Think about times you played against the rules and logical thinking that the game gave you. Or given your familiarity with game art if you noctice little things like maybe the texture in the wrong place etc.
    EX: I remember spending a few hours in GTA3 parking a firetruck in the subway to see if it would do anything crazy like the train derailing would happen.
    I felt this would be the case, playing the game differently to what the developer wants you to play it. Adding in extra bonuses such as my familiarity with Game Art, having studied in games design, so a deep knowledge in mechanics and so forth. Thanks man. I had a feeling this would be most likely the case, but i suppose it's always good to keep asking questions, something i don't often do! 
  • 0xffff
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    No, I was really serious in my previous post :|
  • Ex-Ray
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    I started in QA in 2005 and I fortunately managed to transition to full time 3D artist soon after, it definitely helped that I had Uni friends from my course working there as artists already so management knew I had an art background, so I'm lucky that I didn't really have to show my aspirations. I did work very hard as QA and later Production Support role though.  This was at the beginning of last gen consoles and at that time this type of role transition was possible.

As others have said, in the current development structure it's very rare for this QA role transition to happen now. Games are more complex requiring more QA and support during dev and post game release for patches and DLC, so their roles are important and always required.

You're best to have a plan, get your foot in the industry, learn how games are developed via QA whilst working on your portfolio. Later carefully assess whether there's any possibility to move to art, then act accordingly on this outcome. When you and your portfolio are ready apply for art jobs with the comfortable knowledge you have a better understanding how games are made inside out.

Regarding the interview, just talk about your previous testing experience, I think it's ok to tell them you have a keen interest in 3D art so should you get tasked with art stuff you'll have a better eye in seeing bugs or issues etc. Probably best not to mention your aspirations to become a 3D artist as it could shift focus away from the main reason for the interview as a QA. Let them know you have a understanding of the role and the type of responsibilities you will have as QA.

Anyway good luck!
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff said:
    No, I was really serious in my previous post :|
    I actually had no idea, suppose that's the issue posting online xD

Ex-Ray said:
    I started in QA in 2005 and I fortunately managed to transition to full time 3D artist soon after, it definitely helped that I had Uni friends from my course working there as artists already so management knew I had an art background, so I'm lucky that I didn't really have to show my aspirations. I did work very hard as QA and later Production Support role though.  This was at the beginning of last gen consoles and at that time this type of role transition was possible.

As others have said, in the current development structure it's very rare for this QA role transition to happen now. Games are more complex requiring more QA and support during dev and post game release for patches and DLC, so their roles are important and always required.

You're best to have a plan, get your foot in the industry, learn how games are developed via QA whilst working on your portfolio. Later carefully assess whether there's any possibility to move to art, then act accordingly on this outcome. When you and your portfolio are ready apply for art jobs with the comfortable knowledge you have a better understanding how games are made inside out.

Regarding the interview, just talk about your previous testing experience, I think it's ok to tell them you have a keen interest in 3D art so should you get tasked with art stuff you'll have a better eye in seeing bugs or issues etc. Probably best not to mention your aspirations to become a 3D artist as it could shift focus away from the main reason for the interview as a QA. Let them know you have a understanding of the role and the type of responsibilities you will have as QA.

Anyway good luck!
    Ahh yes... a mistake i've made previously, asking about other roles in a QA Interview xD I'm lucky i know a few people at the QA studio i'm being interviewed at, and they've advised me to take in a few pieces of work i've made, to show them i have a keen interest. Unfortunately, the studio, which is Liverpool Sony QA, is purely QA Testers and no devs. It's been 8 months since i've graduated, and in that time apart from making 3D Art, i've built up some contacts with professional devs. 
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ex-Ray i've just checked out your Portfolio & LinkedIn.... I think you've in the past worked with some of the tutors i had at University xD I attended The University of Bolton, so chances are you'll know a few tutors there, who were at Bizzarre Creations with you!
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends. The important thing to bear in mind is that there are generally two types of QA jobs: on-site and off-site. With on-site, you're working in the same environment as the developers, so you have the opportunity to socialize with them, show them the progress on your skills development, etc. It's rare, but people have made the switch from QA to development this way. With off-site, you're completely segregated from the developers, often times in a completely different building, so you don't really have the same opportunities to prove yourself and move into development.
    This is unfortunately the issue i'll have. It's off-site, away from the developers which is unfortunate. Luckily, the area i'll be in, in Liverpool UK, there's a big increase in studios that do VR, along with some game companies. I'll be looking to build more contacts, if theoretically speaking i get the job. Thanks for the feedback @dustinbrown
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    You're welcome. Best of luck to you :)
    Thanks! Slightly nervous but as i've been told, the fact i've got knowledge in testing methods such as regression, soak, destruction etc apparently means i know somewhat more than other testers know going into the role :) Either way, even if i get this role, i'll still be putting all my spare minutes into 3D Art! Determined, and passionate to carve out a career in the craft :DD 
  • Ex-Ray
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    @Ex-Ray i've just checked out your Portfolio & LinkedIn.... I think you've in the past worked with some of the tutors i had at University xD I attended The University of Bolton, so chances are you'll know a few tutors there, who were at Bizzarre Creations with you!
    Ah cool, I think I know who the tutors you are talking about are. Jeez sometimes you are reminded just how small this industry can be!

Since you know it's off-site QA then you'll know to just focus on your art and let QA be the source of industry experience and more networking.
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray said:
    Ah cool, I think I know who the tutors you are talking about are. Jeez sometimes you are reminded just how small this industry can be!

Since you know it's off-site QA then you'll know to just focus on your art and let QA be the source of industry experience and more networking.
    Yeah, if theoretically speaking i get the role, all my spare minutes will be put into my art. Keen to carve out a career as a 3D Artist, no matter how difficult it is.

I appreciate everyone's feedback! :)
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    MrHobo said:
    These days QA is not really a road to a Dev position, its a road to more QA. It has to be because it is its own career with it's own paths and needs. It does not exist to facilitate people landing their dream jobs, it exists to make sure that the product that gets out the door is the greatest and most polished product possible.
    ^^^^^^ THIS SO MUCH.

I recently just got out of QA, working for about a year in it. One thing I definitely learned was that many people that were in QA never really got out of it that stuck around, and mostly just moved up to either Senior QA Testers, QA Leads, or even Producers (this could be over 10 years though).

Unfortunately I didn't really see much of any people that were able to get up and move out of QA itself, but that does not mean its a bad start even if you think your end goal is an artist. You just gotta realize that in this day and age, it is very hard to get out of QA; you can still learn a lot about how games are made, development cycles, and also can even get some networking through things like company events and even just in the cafeteria (if you have one). Reaching out to certain people you know in the company is also a good idea as well.

I wouldn't really call it impossible, but its definitely a very difficult and challenging task. Realize that in QA, your going to work LONG hours, especially if your in crunch, which includes weekends too. Crunch is fairly normal anyway, but if your not super dedicated to your art (or other medium, eg. programming), its going to be very tiring, even on regular days to continue working on it. I would also call QA a bit of a place of competition - a lot of people that go into QA have a similar mindset of wanting to move up and out of QA into a dev position but that does not really happen that often even if they are talented. Not trying to discourage you, but giving a fair warning :smile:

I agree with what @Ex-Ray said though, I would work on your portfolio as much as possible and then eventually asses your situation in the company and see if there open positions or if there is people you can talk to and show your work to.

Good luck!
  • kernersvillan
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont agree.  QA can totally be a stepping stone into a production role, but you cannot ignore the fact that in the meantime you are a tester and you have that job to do. You cant go into the job with the mindset that you will only be in QA for X amount of time, but dont think that you cant get out of qa and get a production role either.  Never forget that you have an ultimate goal of being an artist.  Yes testing is long hours, and yes its monotonous as fuck, but look at it from a different perspective. You have your foot in the door, and if you are hungry and driven, that will get you far.  There are lots of testers that eventually move into more Producer roles.  There are also testers that are just there just because its better than working at Target.  Do a great job and stand out.  If any sort of opportunity arises make sure that the lead would think of you over any other tester.  Let your lead know that you have ambitions, but also that you are committed to your testing nd committed to learning.  You can either start at the bottom like some people have to do, or find another line of work.  For me, I always knew I would work in games, so I made that happen. Dont get discouraged! You sound motivated already, so just keep at it!
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    To be fair, re-reading everyone's posts, no one said that there is not a chance. Everyone's just being clear that it is a very small chance under most circumstances.
    Although in OP' case the studio is not situated near development.
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everybody! I think for the time being, it's best to see the outcome of the interview. If I get the job, I know exactly what'll be asked of me, and all my spare minutes will be put into my artwork :)

@kernersvillan thanks for the kind words. Motivation hasn't ever been an issue, neither is hard work! I understand the long hours that'll be put in front of me, but it's up to me to balance everything out. 
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    As @MrHobo said, I'm offsite from the devs, and it seems a common factor that the QA department is away from the devs. Of course, some companies such as small indies, and i believe by the sound of it Epic, have QA onsite. 

Liverpool is started to grow in terms of technology. Games and VR are becoming big, so conferences will be something I'll attend to gain more contacts. 
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I guess i have one question to ask, since you're constantly doing artwork:

where's your portfolio?
  • DweenieTodd
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkaria said:
    0xffff said:
    Blond said:
    So you're saying we should apply at your company  :D
    I'm actually curious to know were you work at @0xffff  
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Just something to keep in mind. If you're doing unpaid overtime crunch on QA, you're robbing yourself of time and energy you could have put towards your portfolio. Finding a low stress 9-5 job with consistent hours will be easier. 

At the end of the day, if your portfolio is good, you will find work. I've seen multiple people hired at AA / AAA studios with less than 1 year professional experience (or none at all). They had a good portfolio, they weren't a dick, they got hired. 
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    @almighty_gir here's my Portfolio and Artstation.

Portfolio: dweenietod.wix.com/deenmugalart
    Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artist/dweenietodd

It's by no means amazing, i still believe it's to a poor quality. However, it's a slow process, but i suppose i'm a stubborn learner.

The AKM is the project that will be going. I purchased Tim Bergholzs Substance Painter Tutorials to learn the software, but now there's an abundance of AKM's out there, which is fine but i feel it does me no help. I'm in the process of making a new project atm to replace that particular scene.

The Abyss Tunnels is another project that'll be going too. Otherwise as i said, my work isn't of amazing quality at all, but i feel i'm making improvements and producing work. I'll be keeping at it until i've gained a high standard of work.
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    @beefaroni thanks for the feedback :) I'm making sure to take in everything i'm being told, so i can completely analyse the situation, and make the best plan of action if the interview process goes well.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    The AKM is the project that will be going. I purchased Tim Bergholzs Substance Painter Tutorials to learn the software, but now there's an abundance of AKM's out there, which is fine but i feel it does me no help. I'm in the process of making a new project atm to replace that particular scene.
    Yep, good idea.

Going off my previous post. I still strongly feel that you will be doing yourself a disservice by working in QA. With another 6-8 months of steady improvement (maybe a year at max), you should have a nice folio for employers. 
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni said:
    Yep, good idea.

Going off my previous post. I still strongly feel that you will be doing yourself a disservice by working in QA. With another 6-8 months of steady improvement (maybe a year at max), you should have a nice folio for employers. 
    I have to admit, that's made me feel a little better xD Yeah on my Portfolio in the high poly models in a mossberg with several attachments, i'll be replacing the AK with that particular model, and make a small scene, that makes sense.

It's been around 8 months since i've graduated. I have a section of old work on my Portfolio, and i believe i've slowly improved. I honestly believe this has been down to not being in a QA job role, especially with the shift patterns the job demands. This is why i've come to Polycount for advice from more experience individuals. Being young, inexperience and especially having had a frustrating period since graduation, it wouldn't be of surprise if i jumped at the chance to work in a job role within the industry, but i still feel i should bide my time, and slowly progress in what i want to do. 
  • samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Unless you absolutely need the money, just keep plugging away at your portfolio. Your stuff is pretty good and just given enough time you'll be there. 

I'm speaking from only my job (so by no means take this as industry standard), but they have gone to some lengths to try and keep Quality Assurance people from interacting with developers, due to people in QA clashing with the developers so now most interaction with developers is done through Senior and Lead QA personnel. So that makes it difficult to network. The only place where everyone might fraternize is at company events or in the cafeteria. That being said, QA is not a bad way to see how games are made as far as how development cycles go but nowadays no longer grants you much of an "in" to the developer side of things. At my studio (a AAA game company) the last person that moved up into an art role from QA was in 2011 (and our QA is filled with art majors, though idk how many have decent portfolios, but there are a few hundred testers in the dept). Just food for thought.
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @samnwck firstly thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm glad people feel i'm on the right track *small victory pose*
    This was my issue with QA to begin with, and hence i've not applied to many QA roles, unless i know the company either has reasonable shift pattern demands, or it is an onsite QA role so i can network.

I'm extremely lucky that my parents allowed me to live back at home after graduating (honestly i feel bad for living with my parents again) but they'e cool about it. They understand i've been using all my spare time to advance my skills, and have told me to bide my time, hone my skills and don't rush for anything.

Out of curiosity Samnwck, were do you work at, and what position? I've seen your artstation, and you've got some great art pieces! 
  • DashingDark
    ...All you have to have is your foot in the door...
    lol
    "Yeah. It's easy to get rich. Just start a few businesses with your parents' millions of dollars."
  • kernersvillan
    Offline / Send Message
  • DweenieTodd
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose that advice you've given is great @Tidal Blast

Nevertheless, i had my interview last Tuesday and it seemed to go well. I'm lucky i knew employees at the studio, so that helped in itself. Was told that i'd here within 2 weeks, so we'll just wait :)
  • kernersvillan
    Offline / Send Message
    I currently work QA, and there are many other testers who also want to get a job. But they merely have enough money to survive, have to do overtime, not enough time to work on their portfolio, got kids to feed, etc. There are better jobs than QA out there for those who want to become artists.

To have your foot in the door is nothing if you don't have the skills. Just become that badass artist you want to become. If you are good, people will hire you.
    Lack of money, overtime, no time to work on portfolio are all excuses.  Yes of course life gets in the way, but if you are hungry you will find a way.  A foot in the door is everything if you are determined.  There aren't that many better jobs for anyone who wants to be in the industry than being in a studio, regardless of the position. The whole point of this thread was to ask if its possible to move up from QA, and the answer is yes.