Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Sinmara Saga - animated short

artgoon
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
artgoon polycounter lvl 18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA0Ns4V7dSg

It took about 10 months or so but finally finished my short film Sinmara Saga.  I hope you guys dig it!  Was loads of fun to make!

Replies

• heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    That's real fun!  Good work man :)

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Are you serious????!!! that was so cool and epic!!! I loved the transition from the game to the 3d, I was curious how you planed the fight animation , can you share that knowledge with us? :o

And I just found you worked on Angel Stone cinematic holy shit dude hahaha you are such an inspiration!!!
  • artgoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artgoon polycounter lvl 18
    I'm glad you guys liked it.  For planning I watched a ton of anime.  Like as many action pieces as I could find on youtube since I didn't quite get why that level of crazy action worked. Why shots were cut in such a way or how things could be dynamic but still clear.  I think I still need more practice with it though since I barely scratched the surface of that dynamic style of editing.

For action and editting, I  used colorkeys and levels of action/excitement to build up the piece over 3 'mini' arcs each ending with more energy and vibrancy until the 3rd arc of Skarr running towards Sinmara with all hell breaking loose.  If you notice I cheat quite a lot with holds with keep alive animation and secondary animation to keep things lively so I could concentrate more time and effort towards the action bits which took the most amount of time.  Keeping things on 2s also saved time since I didn't have to worry about final pass animation and maintain it looking nice with just super solid keys.  My toonshading system is extremely similiar to how Guilty Gear XRD works theirs but my lines are actual geo instead of texture.  I think the look is nice but I still have a bit more to learn to get it up to the look that XRD has.

Thanks for watching!

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Awesome! is really cool to learn how people plan his animation :)
  • 13randO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    13randO polycounter lvl 3
    Totally dig it. Thank you for the breakdown as well!
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Very inspiring stuff buddy. I think you did a real nice job of the whole concept.
    Very clear and funny, I loved it. I understand it took 10 months, but I'd love to see more!
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work man! Your work is hugely inspiring