Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Dragon Behaviour

EVernier
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
EVernier polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I'm working on a creature behaviour piece for my portfolio. This is the first part of the animation that I started to polish. The idea is that the dragon is protecting its territory from an unseen threat, later in the animation he'll spread his wings, leap forward, bite the air then stand on his rear legs and breathe fire as a warning. I'm not really sure what I should do with the wings.

This is about 3 hours of work so I still need to do a lot on the anim, but any feedback on what I have would be great! Syncsketch link at the bottom.

http://syncsketch.com/playground/468c68fa097f406096e3b83dc96addf5#73900

Replies

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    3 hrs!!??? awesome :O left you some notes but they are just picky things , that's a killer work.
    I was going to say the pop from the front arm and the right front leg being too exaggerated on the movement but someone already pointed those in red :P
  • EVernier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I need the critique on the picky things as I think nailing down the details is my weakness. I get the general idea pretty quickly, but I have a harder time fine tuning everything.
  • EVernier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated the video
  • KielFiggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KielFiggins polycounter lvl 7
    I'd suggest toning back the camera, both in movement and shake, even going so far to add in a quick proxy env to see the parallax.  Adding in some sort of element to give a sense of human scale to better understand the size and weight of the dragon.  Since you're studying the behaviour, what type of attitude or reaction are you looking to achieve?  Is he taunting?  Geting injured? circling a prey?

If you had to pick an animal with a similar tone as to what you're looking for, what would it be?  If you can figure that out, you can look for video reference of that animal.  Such as how a bird locks its head when it's focused, a bull stomps it's foot when taunting, a lion circles its prey or pride, ect

You can pick up a lot of fun and interesting characteristics from pulling from the real world.

Good luck,