Home General Discussion

Batman vs superman(spoilers)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Eleszar1 polycounter lvl 11
one thing i dont understand why so many people hated that movie,
i and my mates we freaking loved it,  the whole movie had this feeling of dark and cruel  apeal on it
i liked how batman  moved like a demon in the shadows
i liked how superman died for a few seconds in the space and he looked like  zombie or something  it showed us the dark side and how it would be if there were any superheroes, the whole movie was freaking cool dark cruel
the movie made some millions realy fast  it shows that people realy watched it
it wasnt like any other superhero movie when everybody wins and everybody is happy no it was honest and i liked that, some ppl say it had no humour, Realy dude? i mean humour? go watch some comedy

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I agree... I wouldn't have complained, if there were a few quips thrown in, but there is nothing light hearted about the situations in this movie. Batman sure as hell isn't in a joking mood, and is everyone expecting a one liner, after a room of people explode around Superman?

From what I've seen, most people who dislike the movie, are hardcore into the comic storylines. They want things to be exactly as they were in the comics. It doesn't follow any one timeline. The thing is, why isn't a movie allowed to make it's own path? Comics take bits and pieces from other storylines, all the time. 

Anyway, I enjoyed it, and so did my family. I do feel things could have been better, and maybe this could have been split into two movies, but I enjoyed it for what it is. They are clearly trying to catch up to Marvel, instead of doing their own thing, which is unfortunate. 

My only complaints were Jesse Eisenberg, and Doomsday. Jesse was terribly annoying, and apparently was playing Lex's son, which explains why he was a weak, and geeky looking guy. Doomsday felt rushed, and not really necessary, other than to draw out Wonder Woman. 
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Already a BVS thread
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he made this so we could safely drop spoilers. I think, after opening weekend, it's a bit dangerous to drop in a thread, like that one, but I've still been trying to keep my comments spoiler free, in the other thread. 
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Having a film with a darker tone has merit. And there is a market for such an approach, as is clear from the fans who enjoyed the movie.

But immersing the audience in a serious, brooding tone does not necessarily make the film structurally sound. Saying that a movie was enjoyable or not is a very, very subjective approach. You went into the theater, you and your friends had a good time. I'm glad for you. I certainly don't want to take that positive experience away from you. But the fact that you enjoyed yourself didn't necessarily mean that you saw a good movie.

People watch bad movies with their friends all the time, and are able to enjoy the experience. They host parties centered around such experiences. But evaluating and critiquing a creative effort is more than simply consuming it. And anything you do surrounded by a group of friends is going to be more pleasant. In order to make a critical appraisal of a film, you have to step back and look at it apart from the spectacle.

And that's why there has been so much ire surrounding this film. When you take a step back and critique the movie, all sorts of flaws and inconsistencies come to light. What was previously bombast becomes incoherent noise. The film fails to hold up under scrutiny. The whole effort falls apart whenever anyone simply stops and THINKS about it.

Not every movie needs to be brilliant. But any movie should at least have a consistent internal logic, reasonable motivations for their characters, and a decent script.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And that's why there has been so much ire surrounding this film. When you take a step back and critique the movie, all sorts of flaws and inconsistencies come to light. What was previously bombast becomes incoherent noise. The film fails to hold up under scrutiny. The whole effort falls apart whenever anyone simply stops and THINKS about it.

That could be said for just about any movie. If I were to critique the hell out of every movie, I wouldn't enjoy anything anymore. Critics do that, and that's why movies end up with 30% on rotten tomatoes, from critics, and 80% from the general public
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman said:
    That could be said for just about any movie. If I were to critique the hell out of every movie, I wouldn't enjoy anything anymore. Critics do that, and that's why movies end up with 30% on rotten tomatoes, from critics, and 80% from the general public
    (shrug) Yes, that's my point. A general audience is considerably less likely to think about the movie they're watching. They are just looking to immerse themselves in an experience for a few hours, usually surrounded by their friends or family. That's how most people spend their time at the movies. But trying to say that a movie is "good" just because it managed to entertain people under those circumstances is reductionist. It's evaluating a creative effort on a simple "pass/fail." It's also ignoring decades of study that has gone into the art and craft of cinema.

This is why you critical analysis. So that someone will think about these things, and evaluate an effort based on them. So that at least someone won't switch their minds off while they're in the theater, and hold the films they see to some manner of reasonable standard. If you enjoyed the film, that's fine. But don't be surprised that other people didn't, especially when they are able to cite numerous valid reasons for their ire.

By the standards established by existing cinema, the movie is probably bad. The script is almost certainly bad. The characters are underdeveloped. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't have enjoyed the film. As I already established, it is entirely possible to enjoy bad media under the right circumstances. But attempting to wave away all the issues that the film has based on your own experience is like trying to bury your head in the sand. You don't get good movies by willfully ignoring such issues.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've summarized a bit of what I was going to say.... there really is no definitive way of saying a movie is 'good', since that varies by the individual. In this case, I'm not suggesting people should/must like the movie. Instead, I'm saying people are over analyzing movies that I don't feel were meant for the kind of criticism they are receiving. In the end, this is a comic book movie, about super heroes, not a historical reenactment. 

Like many games lately, I feel like the Internet is influencing people as to what they should like. This movie has been criticized since Ben Affleck was announced as Batman. It had a lot to overcome, and possibly at an unrealistic level.

Anyway, I don't want to derail things, with a philosophical discussion about the movie industry. I just feel like many opinions are misguided on this movie. That's not to say everyone who dislikes this movie is wrong, I just don't feel like many people are basing their opinions on what the movie delivered, and meant to deliver.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman said:
    Like many games lately, I feel like the Internet is influencing people as to what they should like. This movie has been criticized since Ben Affleck was announced as Batman. It had a lot to overcome, and possibly at an unrealistic level.

Anyway, I don't want to derail things, with a philosophical discussion about the movie industry. I just feel like many opinions are misguided on this movie. That's not to say everyone who dislikes this movie is wrong, I just don't feel like many people are basing their opinions on what the movie delivered, and meant to deliver.
    The internet may have indeed influenced some people's opinions. But that's what the free exchange of ideas is for. You also can't just assume that everyone being influenced by internet commentary are mindless followers. Arguments delivered on-line still have to provide evidence and examples.

It's also dangerous to hang too much of an analysis based on what a movie "meant" to deliver. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. An analysis has to be based on what is front of you, not some nebulous idea of what the creator was striving for. (often colored by your own imagination and interpretation) We also have to weigh this effort based on its own achievements, not on what it could mean for future movies.

This is actually one of the primary reasons why this film disappointed so many critics. It's a common issue cited for most of Zack Snyder's films. There are elements of potential greatness peaking out constantly in his work, only to be swallowed up by spectacle and overly elaborate plots. You always get the sense from his movies that they could have been so much better. They are littered with unrealized potential. The same seems to be true of Batman v Superman. With a little more structure, a slight adjustment of tone, and a bit tighter script, it could have been better.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A spoilers-friendly thread is actually an appropriate place to engage in one of my favorite creative exercises when I believe a film is flawed but salvageable.

What would you do to fix the film?

For me, I would throw out the entire third act and re-contextualize the Batman/Superman fight. Batman and Superman fighting each other is inherently dumb. The reason they provided for it happening was also dumb. But that doesn't mean you can't have your cake and eat it to. It just requires a little creativity. Keep the events leading up to their confrontation. You can even keep the fight itself. But at the end of the fight, instead of some deus-ex reason for them to stop fighting, you just have Batman's phone go off. He takes the call, and Alfred informs him that Superman's mother has been successfully rescued. At that point Batman helps Superman off the ground, Superman flies off and places Lex Luthor under arrest, and you wrap things up with a few short scenes showing what happens after Lex is sent to prison.

A turn like this shows that the super-heroes in this film aren't morons. Instead of rushing off to confront Batman after Lex ordered him to, Superman instead stops by any random office and calls Batman up. They talk on the phone and Batman agrees to help stage a fight, and have his SAS-trained butler rescue Superman's mother while it's happening. Once Mrs. Kent is secure, Lex has no more leverage and Superman can dispatch him at his leisure. This way you still get the fight, but at the end it turns out that the heroes were turning the tables on the villain, like heroes should.

Post credit scene, Batman and Superman meet up again in front of the Bat signal, and talk about how their ideologies still differ. They both realize that neither of them actually called the other there, at which point Wonder Woman steps out of the shadows in her armor stating that she called them there, and that they need to talk about the future.
  • FULGORE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    "talk about how their ideologies still differ" - I would have definitely preferred this to the falling back on some "quippy" humour just before throwing down with Doomsday. 3/4 of the film I thoroughly enjoyed (as a Superman fan). I liked this Lex Jr, I liked his sudden turns to real menace in tone, his reasoning tied in very well to contemporary and recent-past politics - look at real-world dictators who receive adoration and praise even when turning state militaries on their own citizens. I loved most of the cinematography - again, something that comes to mind is Lex Jr and the biblical painting.

But tbh, I don't think it took enough risks. A BvS fight without Kryptonite would have been interesting for me, less of an actual fistfight and more of someone convinced they were right impotently raging against an unstoppable force. And Doomsday seemed thrown in just to appease the Transformers/Avengers/EXPLOSIONS movie-watchers. But on the other hand, Batman's realisation that he kind of came full-circle at the end of their fight was an emotionally resonating moment.

I thought the whole kidnapped-mother thing was better than I expected, as well (read some minor spoilers beforehand) - shows that for all his Kryptonianphobia, preaching about depending on the kindness of monsters, he was willing to be a hypocrite and terrorise one of his own species.

And I think I'm in the minority here, but I thought Gal Gadot was literally made of plywood in this. Not impressed with this WW.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have a Spoiler tool, inside the backward P icon.  

Select some text and press the button. 

Batman's dad dies. And so does Superman's.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to show a preview while you're editing. :( But you can press the Preview button to check it out at least.

Just fyi. A separate thread is ok for this.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    https://youtu.be/s-MUzvASr8s
    Posting here, cause it's a spoiler:
    Lex seems to be watching archives like they did in MoS.alien reminds me of yuga khan.

Rumors of them putting the directors 3 hour cut in theaters ala dcp.crazy how much they had to cut to avoid the R rating lol plus jena malone.