Home General Discussion

Surface Pro 4 and 3D Modeling

liamdes
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
liamdes polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, I just got a Surface Pro 4 for mobile 3d modelling.  I'm loving it so far, but I'm having one issue I can't get around:  No middle click.  The stylus and the touch pad are missing a middle click function.  While you can ctrl + left click to use the function, it doesn't really work maya.  How do you any of you with a surface pro use Maya?  For now I bound the pan function to a hotkey, but have any of you found a way to use middle mouse clicks in Maya and Zbrush?  Would buying the Surface 3 pen work for that?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    liamdes said:
    Hey guys, I just got a Surface Pro 4 for mobile 3d modelling.  I'm loving it so far, but I'm having one issue I can't get around:  No middle click.  The stylus and the touch pad are missing a middle click function.  While you can ctrl + left click to use the function, it doesn't really work maya.  How do you any of you with a surface pro use Maya?  For now I bound the pan function to a hotkey, but have any of you found a way to use middle mouse clicks in Maya and Zbrush?  Would buying the Surface 3 pen work for that?
    i love that they didn't fix it so far

but there is a solution, get an app called radial menu, which is so far the best i could find the surface pro 3
  • liamdes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    liamdes polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the reply @Neox ! I'll check that out
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I bought a separate 3-button (Wacom) pen for my Surface Pro 2 - maybe there are 3d party pens for SP3/SP4?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing said:
    I bought a separate 3-button (Wacom) pen for my Surface Pro 2 - maybe there are 3d party pens for SP3/SP4?
    nope it is not wacom technology, it's ntrig
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 18
    according to this page, the surface pro 3 pen with two side buttons works on the surface pro 4.   i think its a downgrade for pressure sensitivity, but hopefully you could set one of those buttons to be middle click using radial menu.   https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/touch-mouse-and-search/surface-pen?os=windows-10#pensetupW10    i wonder if anyone can confirm this?
  • CharlieD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
    Sup guys.  I just got a surface pro 3 pen for my surface pro 4 for the extra button.  I haven't tested it yet in zbrush or photoshop, so I can't speak much for the difference in pressure sensitivity.  I imagine it's not a huge deal, as I've seen a lot of people say the sp3 works great for zbrush.  I'm using radial menu to remap my button 3(closest to pen tip) to be my middle mouse button.  Works like a charm for modeling in Maya.  I also set radial menu to start at start up, so I have middle click functionality from start up.  The sp3 pen doesn't stay attached via the magnet very well, but I have a case with a pen holder, so that solved that.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 18
    thanks charlied, its great to hear it works.  i might pick one up too.  i just don't understand why they removed a button in the first place.  

does anyone else think the sp4 stylus button is hard to find by feel and difficult to push down?  hopefully sp3 buttons are more similar to wacom pens?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty said:
    thanks charlied, its great to hear it works.  i might pick one up too.  i just don't understand why they removed a button in the first place.  

does anyone else think the sp4 stylus button is hard to find by feel and difficult to push down?  hopefully sp3 buttons are more similar to wacom pens?
    nope i thin kthe pressurepoints of the SP3 pen are just not very nice to work with. feels like they wanted to make them as flush with the pen as possible all clean and nicely integrated but it just doesnt feel right