Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creating a Rock environment, would appreciate some help please.

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
skillstrengthorluck polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, as the title would indeed suggest I am teaching myself various new pieces of software. To do this I decided to create an environment piece in UE4. This was designed to allow me to learn a bit of Zbrush, Xnormal and UE4. 

Where i'm hoping someone might be able to help me out is about half way through this process.

I have gotten as far as to sculpt a high poly rock from a low poly base mesh created in 3dsMax. Then I have managed to decimate it down and clean up a new low poly model. My low poly rock is sitting at 406 tris. Then I have baked out a normal map at 1024x1024 in Xnormal and I have taken it into marmoset toolbag 2 so that I could get a feel for how the normals were looking on the low poly rock. Initially I had some really horrible seams and I went back into 3dsMax and redid my UV unwrap in order to move them to a less conspicuous place but they I feel they are still not optimal.

My question is: How would you guys solve this? Would you simply try to hide the seams when you create the rest of the environment? Would you unwrap the rock differently to myself? A third even better option that I have not considered / learned?

The parts where the seams aren't visible looks quite nice:

The horrible seams:

The Unwrap and Normal Map:

Thanks in advance guys.

Replies