Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Patch of Heaven: Handpainted Texturing

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
SamuelDV polycounter lvl 4

Hi Guys! Back at it again with another project. 

This time around, practising my handpainted skills with a small pedestal.
This is also the first time I'm getting serious with handpainted textures, so any feedback and comments are appreciated!

S.

The ground texture is still not done, this is all work in progress :)

Replies

• mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ground texture its self looks pretty good though its a little flat and dull looking in those renders with no proper lighting. I would put it into Marmoset or something and get a nice material and lighting set up. 
  • SamuelDV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ground texture its self looks pretty good though its a little flat and dull looking in those renders with no proper lighting. I would put it into Marmoset or something and get a nice material and lighting set up. 
    Thanks mats! 
    Totally agree with it looking flat, but I should have stated more clearly that the texture is still a wip, it'll be enriched by geometry and added upon. That's also why there's no decent lighting in there aswel. I'll take your advice with me for the next update though!
  • SamuelDV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update: I put this mesh into Marmoset with some decent lighting, to give a better view on the wip texture. Still looking way to flat, but that'll change soon.

• Shiverspine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiverspine polycounter lvl 2
    Good going man! I really like the way you present your stuff! I could learn a thing or two!

Besides that, I like the general very low poly / triangulated feeling and the first texture is already coming along nicely.
    Some parts of the tree however are bothering me, in particular the two branches. They are almost thick enough to be trees in their own right! The forms feel strange to me as well.
    I really like the idea of this old overgrown railroad, you dont see that very often in this style of 3D but I think I would like it more if you had a couple more planks between your two rails, to make it a little fuller.

Anyway, looking forward to more WIPs and the end result!
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    the distance (gap) between the railway sleepers is to big.
  • SamuelDV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    I put in a tree texture, which is not final yet. As you can see there is still some funky stretching going on on some places.
    I also painted the rocks, the sleepers and the rails, of which the last two still need more detail imo.
    Also added a quick blockout of a lamp, to get a feel of the lighting I'm going for.

Feel free to give some feedback!
    S.

• SamuelDV