Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Boxer Anatomy Study

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Agrevain polycounter lvl 9
Hello people, I will be posting, an anatomy study project that I am doing, on here. I didn't get this idea to post it until a little ways in, but I will be posting images from the beginning of the project, as I save everything out in parts. I will be posting a few images at a time but I am not done the project at the moment, so I do encourage critique since everything can still be changed quite easily.

I basically started with a very very rough base mesh just to get the general form of a biped. I then dynameshed and sculpted everything until a rough base was made that I was pleased with :)

Replies

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    I think it's looking good, I would revisit the abdomens though. They're too uniform and also, as far as how many there are, usually the top two are right under the pecs. And you currently have a 10-pack abs and the usual human has 6, at most 8. Keep up the good work!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Good start. You seem to have an extra abdominal division. (Across the bellybutton) the highest set of muscles are practically sitting on the thoracic arch, whereas you have them below. Where you have the extra division there might often be a small pouch of fat even on a leaner character,  but on your character that area looks like it's divided into 2 distinct muscles, but is actually a single 'sheet' of muscle.
  • Agrevain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The comments above regarding too many abdominals, it is suppose to be one single sheet on the lowest muscle group. It just got groved in because that is where I seperated the mesh into different polygroup and when I masked it off and moved things it created the line. It is smoothed out in later version but I do thank you for noticing the error, even though it wasn't meant to be there ahaha
  • Agrevain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also have an update with boxing gloves and shorts. Although I think I might need to edit the shorts a bit more, I don't think I care too much for the top of them.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Agrevain said:
    The comments above regarding too many abdominals, it is suppose to be one single sheet on the lowest muscle group. It just got groved in because that is where I seperated the mesh into different polygroup and when I masked it off and moved things it created the line. It is smoothed out in later version but I do thank you for noticing the error, even though it wasn't meant to be there ahaha
    Yes but have another look at where you've placed the bellybutton :smile: 
  • Agrevain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agrevain said:
    Yes but have another look at where you've placed the bellybutton :smile: 
    Worry not I shall be going over the entire thing and doing another anatomy pass very soon :)
  • Agrevain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I am going to be adding a few image updates with this post. I went ahead and posed him before fixing the anatomy since I love working without symmetry, plus it cuts out an unnecessary sculpting pass. After that I went ahead and fixed the anatomy, especially the abdominal region. I also did some work on the face to give him a bit more character, although I feel I should push it a bit more and will be doing more work in the face region. I also did a quick render pass in modo, just to see how it would look.

*on a side note I am still unsure if I like those shorts, I will most likely re-visit them as well*

• Agrevain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked a bit more on the face and added some damage to it, although I may go a bit more extreme with the damage, I am unsure at the moment. I also have been testing ways to render it. So far I like keyshot a bit more over Modo since I can edit things pretty easily, plus bringing fibermesh into keyshot is much easier than assigning hair in modo and re-combing everything out. I will most likely be adding skin pores next and fixing some other very slight issues, then everything should be good :)

• Agrevain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I finished the study and I rather enjoyed making it. Just a nice thing I could do in between other projects. I will focus on a character through the entire pipeline next, but I learned a lot from this project, and I think it turned out alright :).