Home General Discussion

What is the difference between an online workshop for 1000USD and a tutorial dvd?

Farina
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Farina polycounter lvl 4
Hello guys,

at the moment, i want to make more experience in 3d modeling. 

Im very interested in making high poly and then from that a low poly game character.

I want to see and to try these steps , step by step.

So my questions are...

1. Why i should pay an online workshop what goes 10 weeks, to learn that? I see different artists from the industry and they make such online workshops, but for 1000 Dollars?? 

2. Is there actually a Training DVD updatet to 2016, where i can learn it from? I want to have the industry standards. Step by step, to high poly and then to low poly.

Greetings

farina

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would imagine the value provided by a workshop that is $1000 would be pretty awesome. And the reason for the steep price vs a cheaper video tutorial.....well you will probably be interacting directly with an industry veteran level instructor in a 1 on 1 or small group capacity. This is where the price is justified, if you are getting hands on feedback for 10 weeks from an instructor, as well as getting to interact with a group of like minded individuals who are eager and willing to put in the hard work.

High priced workshops and courses are often a good way to filter out people who are going to half ass things, not always (art institute), but more often than not. If you are paying 1000 bucks to learn something specific then you are probably going to give it your all. 

Video tutorials are great, but you are not held accountable, or having direct interaction with a mentor. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who buy books and video tutorials to increase whatever skillset they are trying to boost, and never even read or watch them. You don't learn something by having it sit on your HDD or shelf. If you are really a self motivated person then these are amazing types of resources, you just have to apply the lessons contained within. I would suggest looking at the gumroad thread, there is so much good stuff in there from industry artists.

Its important to do your research before hand on the workshops instructors and see if they are great teachers and have glowing reviews from past students. If so, I would say 1k is probably a steal of a deal for utilizing that experienced persons time for 10 weeks. 

You see this kind of thinking a lot in beginning entrepreneurs, "why should i pay 500 bucks for a workshop that teaches me to grow my business etc." and often those are the people left wondering why their business is not blowing up and are stuck making low level money, while the people that know the value of something like a great workshop tend to consistently grow their business year over year.

either way, it simply comes down to investing in yourself, and where you want to put your resources, time vs money. if you are a strong self starter, then a few video tutorials should get you off to a great start, if you thrive under more structured learning, then the workshop could be a better choice. Hope this helps!

• Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    Usually the big difference is the personal feedback that you get from the teacher while he looks at your assignments.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Personal feedback is one thing. Motivation is another. You can learn everything you need to know online, without spending a dime. However, do you have the motivation to do so? When you join a class, you will feel more obligated to do the work and buckle down because you dont want to waste your money. The DVD tutorials are really good as well. But again, it comes down to can you stay motivated? If you`re just started out, I would personally suggest doing a dvd tutorial, see how you like it, and if you`re actually sticking with it. If you are, then keep going until you feel you get to a point where you will benefit from high quality 1 on 1 feedback. 
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Art is not something that you learn in a year. It takes hard work and dedication. If you need to spend 1000$ to get the motivation and kick in your ass to learn something then maybe this isn't for you? I feel like the only people that succeed here are the ones that really want to do this and always want to improve.

Besides that, I always thought that those expensive online workshops are for those who know how to do everything properly but just need that extra push to really polish their skills.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Think of it this way, who here would say paying snefer 1k for 10 weeks of hands on learning on how he beasts on his highpoly and an exact breakdown of his workflow with detailed personalized feedback is a good deal?  The best sources of info can often shortcut your progress dramatically, but usually you gotta be willing to pay for pure value filled content. 
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinigami said:
    yea but 1000 for a course is a bit much. I mean considering one is just starting out a 1000$ course isnt something that you can pay with ease...
    $500 - $700 is about average for a part-time course of the same length in a classroom.  But, I have paid $1,000 for similar length courses in other subjects.  I think the most I paid was $1,500 for a Unix System V course.
  • Farina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farina polycounter lvl 4
    hello guys, thank you so much for all your comments! I will think about the workshop, because i only need 50% from it. Hm... the other workshop there is to create Cinematiccharacters. (So another workflow again -_-). But cinematic and game ready characters are a little bit the same or? Both workflows are similar?

I want to know, what are the industry standards, creating a game ready character from a high poly. So i try to find an online tutorial about that. I want to be ready, if i MAYBE  would work in a game company. I don't want to sit there and only know, how to make a high poly.

So my step now is....

---- Learn, how to make a low poly from a high poly, WHICH is to 100% ready for a game.
    ---- Learn, how to make a cinematic character.

p.s i have never said, that im not motivated. To sit in a class is for me really boring. I want to learn all, what i can find.
  • Farina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farina polycounter lvl 4
    hello!

do you know some workshops for high poly to low poly??
  • lorenzo_di_pietro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lorenzo_di_pietro polycounter lvl 6
    Can't speak for others, but there are several courses that deal with the character production pipeline, for example:

Online workshops:

Tutorial series:

But remember that if you want to make characters, there is a gigantic topic to consider: anatomy. And none of the courses that I previously mentioned can (probably) explain anatomy in depth to you.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    I second what everyone else is saying. I've taken some CGWorkshop courses and you're going to get much more out of them if you already have a general idea of the workflow and are using it as refinement as opposed to going into it brand new. The biggest perk you get from them is picking the instructors brain on specific things.