Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Change Export target after the fact?

I've made some materials for some ue4 assets but now need to make them for Unity. Is it possible to change the export target to Unity5 and rerender without redoing the material from scratch?

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Should be easy enough - select the Unity 5 export profile from the exporter and export away! :smile: 
  • Keytay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But wouldn't I need to rerender using the Unity5 setup ie, Albedo,Spec,Gloss & Normal in order to get the correct spec map? If I just export my UE4 project to unity it exports the ue4 roughness and metal not the correct spec/gloss for Unity.

• Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Keytay,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, we were assuming you were exporting to Unity 5 Metallic workflow!
    You'll need to add a gloss and spec map to the project, and remove the metallic and roughness map - but the best method is to save your materials as smart materials and create a new project using Unity 5 spec preset.

If you want to keep the project, adding both maps using the drop-down at the top right of DDO, and using the Unity 5 Spec export preset, and you should be good to go!

Thanks,
    Scott.
  • Keytay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I should've been clearer. Thanks for the info. Actually I would like to use the metal workflow in Unity but where does the roughness map go? I'm really confused by that one.

I'll try adding the spec and gloss map as you suggested because I lose all my hand painting in the masks if I save it out as a smart material. 

• Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Keytay,

I'm not sure what you mean by where the roughness map will go? Exporting from Quixel SUITE with Unity 5 preset, will give you an Albedo, a Metallic map with the roughness stored in the alpha, and a normal. Placing the Albedo into Albedo, and the Metallic map into Metallic, Normal to normal in the Unity 5 Standard shader - should be all that you need to get started!

Be sure to set the Texture types to texture, and the normal to texture type: normal map.
    Hope that helps!

Scott.
  • Keytay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coz there's no actual 'roughness' slot in Unity I was confused :blush: and didn't realize it was in the alpha channel of the metal and that Unity works it out somehow.
    I only opened Unity for the first time yesterday so still working out what goes where. 
    Thanks again for the info.