Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Traveling Magic Shop

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
MasterJV polycounter lvl 3
Hey all,

This is my latest piece, the Traveling Magic Shop!

Let me know what you guys think. You can also view it on the Marmoset Viewer, check it out: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/g9LDK

Concept art by: Gabe Kralik: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QaWJr

Replies

• Madwish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madwish polycounter lvl 6
    I always like stylized little scene.  Here's a couple of critics that will hopefully help:

- You have the same books with two vastly different scale. The ones on the ground are small, the ones flying are huge. This looks a bit strange as we don't really understand what's going on overall in the story.
    - The color of your lights seems a bit strange too. The only purple light source is the small cauldron on the right, but the entire tent is purple. There's a little bit of blue from the top, but not much. Overall this looks quite strange. Might be good to define more the area of effect of each of your lights.
    - You seem to be using brightness variation only, not hue. The ground is going from dark green to light green. The tent borders from dark purple to light purple, ... Try to use more color, change the hue when you change the value. There's a fantastic tutorial on 3DMotive with a sword and shield explaining that really well.
    - Amplify your lights. Choose the main one and make it pop. In this case it's probably the crystal. Make it light up with blue the top of the tent more strongly (and think of shadows it would create too). Cauldron and interior could be secondary interest points with their own zones. Right now everything looks a bit flat, working a bit on the lighting will help tremendously.
    - Work on the intersection between surfaces. Everything is perfectly clean right now. When a surface is on top of another, you'll have some dirt and whatnot accumulating. Hand painting is stylized, but it's still very important to think of that. Also think of light bouncing. Katia Bourykina has made loads of super useful little explanation about that (she's got a patreon where you can see it).
    - It's pretty minor, but that's a lot of triangles for this kind of scene. I don't think you need as much on the curved surface, in fact you might have more interesting result with sharper/stylized geometry.

Keep it up. ;)
  • MasterJV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasterJV polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks Madwish, really appreciate the feedback :smile: 

I'm still trying to learn lighting and it is challenging for me, but think I'll spend a week watching some tutorials on the ones you mentioned and others. There's some I found on gumroad too :smiley: