Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HotelLobby (UE4)

This hotel lobby that hit by an earthquake and flooded with water.
The scene is put together in Unreal Engine 4 and this is the first project in which I use Substance Painter. Furthermore the tree that you see on the image comes from SpeedTree.

With this project I wanted to learn about Unreal Engine 4 and Substance Painter.

Let me know what you think. Comments are more than welcome.

Replies

• snakos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snakos polycounter lvl 8
    Hey that's pretty cool, especially if you're still learning! :)

I think some of your elements are a bit hard to read. For example the lamp in the middle left of the of the picture seems flying and it takes me time to define what it was.
    What is the grey/blueish things on the foreground?
    The pillar on the right looks like it is not textured yet.
    Take time to think and work on your materials, and composition. I am not a pro myself in texturing so i can't tell you how to fix it, sorry. :(

I don't know if they're good and if they fit to what you want make but this is some ideas:
    You're water should have left some dirt on the bottom of walls and stairs. It can quickly be done by adding decals
    The tree broke the wall, it could be great to add some branches and leaves everywhere.
    But it is a good start! The lighting on the top of the stairs is nice, like a warm light contrasting with the mess, maybe accentuate the contrast by blue tones on the left?

• Huib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Snakos,

Thank you for your comment. I was not sure if some things would be clear or not on the image. And looks like they are not, so thank you for pointing that out  :)
    Furthermore, I will write down your ideas and see which ones I can implement in an updated version.

Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Huib
  • Madwish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madwish polycounter lvl 6
    Hi HUIB,

Cool ideas, and the base is there. Here's a couple of critiques and an ugly paintover I did to communicate better.

- Try to avoid using photographs for background except if they are really far away and you don't have time. It's quite distracting to see the difference with the meshes. You can easily hint at a city without doing much.
    - Avoid using typical exterior elements in your interiors. The red bricks for instance look more like some exterior elements. I'm sure there's some building with them inside, but it doesn't seem to fit here (see below). Especially avoid using the same elements outside and inside. The green windows are used as your outside windows, it's not really logical to have them decorating the stairs too.
    - Unify your materials if differences are not adding much. Don't be afraid to have all your walls the same material. It's not like people use different material for each wall in real life. There's plenty of others way to add variation.
    - Trims are your friend. Always always consider them! (simple black trims on the top around the stairs.
    - Always amplify your strong point/themes. You want a hotel lobby? Sure, build stuff linked to that. Add a big counter, some pc screen, some furniture, some little keys somewhere, ... Make it believable instantly, so nobody has to wonder what it is. You got a tree destroying the thing? Make the destruction bigger!
    - Avoid the same thing over large surface. It may make sense, but it's not pleasing for the eye. Always break things up a bit. Typically you use some blend for large surface like grounds. In the paintover I just assumed you would have full water on the borders invading the space, and puddles in the middle. But you could vary with full water (beware that it would then be dirty still water, which looks very different from what you have now).
    - Try to integrate your stuff a bit more. The tree seems to have simply been rotated right now, this looks wrong. I just added some cables like it destroyed a power line at the same time. It doesn't always have to make lots of sense, but it helps with look.
    - Focus your eye somewhere. Scale down the picture and look at it. Do you instantly look at one area? If so, good job, if not rework it. Never put details everywhere, decide where your important areas are. I simplified the foreground and added a couple of details around the stairs. Be very careful especially about bright lights, they tend to scream for attention.
    - If possible, add some kind of little story. It's always fun, and it adds a bit to the scene. I just added some blood stains or whatever, but it's doing a little something.

Hope this helps!
  • Huib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi Madwish,

Thank you for the extensive feedback. I really appreciate it!
    It is clear feedback and the paintover helps to understand what you mean.

I will look at all the points that you mentioned and see what I can do to improve the image.

Thanks!

• Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Now that's seriously good stuff, Madwish. I wish there was some kind of entry on the wiki containing rules of thumb for environment artists. The kind of thing everybody has in mind when working on environments, but aren't written down anywhere. Yeah most of these boil down to art fundamentals, but it would be a good resource.