Home Technical Talk

Learning current-gen workflow

19ulrich90
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
19ulrich90 polycounter lvl 8
Hi Polycount community!

I'm a multimedia student, interested mostly in 3d environment art. Currently I have pretty basic understanding of
the process. This is render from last year's school project. Modeling, rendering done in Cinema 4D, textures in Photoshop.

This year I'm intending to acquire knowledge of current-gen workflow. For modeling I'll be using Maya and Zbrush, texturing Substance Designer, Painter/Quixel and bringing the models to Unreal Engine 4/Marmoset.

So I'm starting with prop creation, and will be posting questions along my process. I'm quite new at this forum, so excuse me if the questions have been answerd multiple times, but the number of topics here is quite overwhelming, and I'm trying to catch up.

REFERENCES

MODELING

Currently I'm at low poly stage with modeling the shamshir. This is a render with smoth preview on. I know i have to improve my hardsurface modeling quite a lot.

So my current questions are:

1. Is it necessary to split model in parts like I did or is it preferable to combine meshes if possible. I'm asking this in regard to high poly, normal maps and AO baking later, which I haven't done before and don't quite understand yet.

2. Should I remove polygons that are not seen, like the inner part of cross guard? Or should I leave just enough geometry to hold the edge?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Replies