Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My portfolio is a mess and I refuse to go back to college (Portfolio Critique)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lilJohn polycounter lvl 5
Hi all! I'm a freelance artist based out of Fayetteville Arkansas. I work on a lot of jobs that I either can't show or are not worth showing such as soap bottles, baby alarms, I even made litter box one time. The point is I want to be a bad ass game artist. But have no direction when it comes to what companies look for on portfolios. I can spend all of my free time every day making "things" but in the end when they're all laid out it's still a weak presentation. Anyways, no strings attached, I have no feelings for anything I've made so far. I expect bluntness, even if your comment is derogatory it's still helpful. I plan on moving my new portfolio to Sketchfab and scrapping my Carbonmade sub.

https://goswick.carbonmade.com/

Cheers

Replies

• CGXel
    Offline / Send Message
    CGXel polycounter lvl 3
    Hey, go easy on yourself, you have an amazing portfolio.

First things first, don't show your weak pieces, I don't wanna point fingers but if I had to name one would be the cupcake (lol), I highly suggest you to use the final render as the thumbnail on each work on your portfolio, because the first impression its the strongest, there are a couple of pieces that have a nice render but their thumbnail its an un-textured picture, and that won't make people click on it, also you should learn and practice PBR Texturing, the quality you can get its mind blown.

Too long didn't read version:

1.- Remove weak pieces
    2.- Update thumbnails and be organized overall, the portfolio its a boring mess in its current state
    3.- Learn PBR Texturing
  • GOBEE
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    You definitely need to narrow down the assets you want to show off. Pick your Top 5 best pieces, look at them and ask yourself how you could make them even better and then do that. Nothing looks finished now so don't post them until they are.

Also, one of the biggest problems I see is your lack of presentation. It doesn't look like any thought was put into these renders. Plain boring background, flat lighting, many of them with no textures. This is unacceptable when applying for a game art position. 

Yes your portfolio needs some help. You are already aware of this. I hope you take whatever is said here and improve. So please post again when you have a significant update. You can change websites if you want, but a new design, or address or layout will not help make your art look any better. Focus on your art first and making it presentable to a studio. 
  • Madwish
    Offline / Send Message
    Madwish polycounter lvl 6
    Pretty much what the others said, right now this looks a lot like a blog, not really a portfolio. Your first piece has one line of comment: "Made a lowpoly, but who cares this looks way cooler.". The brutal truth is that no one is going to bother past that.

Getting into the industry as a junior is very hard, but it's doable. The trick is to focus on quality and prove that you can get the job done. You need to show your strong points as soon as the page is opened, and you will be judged on your worse job. That cupcake thing is fun on a blog, but this is going to cost you the job most of the time. Pick some of your best work and present it in a professional manner. Give information about the process, the programs used, the budget in time and triangles, ... Show that you know your stuff. Studios look for people who can get the job done, they don't want to take risks. There's thousands of applicants, it's a sad thing but any mistake will get you out without even an interview.

A good trick is to always think about the interview process. You will most likely be asked to go over you own porfolio and talk about it in front of the leads. Think of what you could say about every piece. Can you talk about interesting workflow you tried on that one? Can you talk about your strong points on this one? What exactly are you going to tell to the art director of a triple A studio when you come to the cupcake boy? ;)

Also, try to think about what you want to become. You're looking to head into the prop art territory. That's fine, but keep in mind that any specialized position will probably require more quality. You'll be working only on props, so you need to nail it. Consider making something really impressive and make that your main piece. Avoid stuff like your buggy car. It's not bad at all, but it would be considered blockout/early wip by vehicle artists.

Like the others said, you got good stuff though. Be professional and focus on quality, you'll make it. ;)
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    typical portfolio mistake.
    A lot of stuff and the best stuff is located at the bottom end of the page where you have to scroll and even click on it to really see it.

my suggestions:

1. make better textures for the ammo box
    2. finish the leaf blower thing with a low-poly mesh and perfect normal bake
    3. make new blade for the witch hunter sword and put it on sketchfab (might be your best asset)
    4. model one big hero piece like the dune buggy (but no sketches and no WIPs)
  • lilJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys are amazing! Thank you, I will begin to make those changes, focus on my skill set, and layout my strongest pieces with better and more presentable backgrounds. These are exactly the replies I was hoping for, sometimes you just need an overwhelming majority to agree with your subconscious.
  • lilJohn
    Offline / Send Message

Hey guys! how's this? It's not at sharp as GOBEE's bordered renderings but I think I will base my other project layouts like this template. 
  • lilJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    also, the reason the latch takes up so much uv space is for an zoomed open/close animation.
  • elmoheadbutt
    One other thing: if you can help it, try to use the same camera angles. It makes viewing easier because the viewer's brain doesn't have to constantly switch between angles trying to visualize the object in 3D. You can use this to convey the size of the objects as well. If you put all your cameras head-height, the viewer can have a clearer idea of the size of said object (look down on a stool, look up to a high-rise building). 

Remember, not everybody has good spatial awareness like us. 
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    lilJohn said:

You need padding
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    much better textures.

Now put a bit more information into the roughness / glossiness channel like dirt and dust. Then you can turn the light around a bit and it will look good with a visible specular reflection on it. You just need a clean presentation and thats it really.

• Maxilator
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    I'd say, just remove stuff that wouldn't impress someone that knows 3d modeling. Its pretty general advice but I think it's good to keep in mind, I myself have removed stuff that I'm not happy with (probably not enough, but at least I have tried to kill my darlings) so that the stuff that the assets that actually are well made aren't lost among stuff that looks mediocre. Here are a few I would remove if I were you:

- M1 Garand, Might be fixed with some texture improvements and better presentation, I think the presentation makes it look way worse than it actually is.
    - Single shot blunderbuss, Weak textures and presentation.
    - Unnamed shotgun, Same as above.
    - Cupcake characters, doesn't show that much technical ability, the one on the top is creepy.
    - Bolt arm, very under cooked, messy texture.

I notice a trend of some pretty weak materials, I'd say work on them and you'll see results. I'm using substance painter myself for the most part and would recommend it if you don't know any programs for pbr texturing.
  • lilJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the tips guys! I'm going to re apply the critiques I got, add another layer of love to the ammo box, and then start cleaning up my portfolio!
  • lilJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed my texture seams from 3 to 8 pix in maya using 2048x2048. 
  • BeardedMike
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
    Looking over your stuff, I really like the ammo box!  As stated before by others, I think your presentation/texturing is what could be improved the most.  One thing that jumped out at me on a technical aspect was on your M4 you have something funky going on with the normals around the trigger guard/magazine well area.

• lilJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    https://goswick.carbonmade.com/projects/5955707

Check it out guys! all of the cool tips and critiques you took time out of your day to give me are being applied! I bet that feels good doesn't it. 

- The ammo box still needs work, I made the suggested changes, then rendered what I have now, and am back in Substance Painter continuing work on it. The rendering is to show changes made, as well as new background and layout. 

Well, on that note I believe this thread is coming to a close, please feel free to add any more comments or critiques, I will be updating the rest of my portfolio to match the ammo box style! I really do appreciate the time taken to help, you're all a buncha pros. 

• lilJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    @BeardedMike

I saw that, I'm not going to beat the dead horse; I definitely messed up on that maya bake. It's becoming more clear that I need to take more time on cleanup and presentation than I do on modeling. 
  • BeardedMike
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
    lilJohn said:
    @BeardedMike

I saw that, I'm not going to beat the dead horse; I definitely messed up on that maya bake. It's becoming more clear that I need to take more time on cleanup and presentation than I do on modeling. 
    Tim Bergholz has some awesome substance painter workflow tutorials i've been following to update my own portfolio.  If you haven't seen them already worth a look! https://gumroad.com/timb
  • lilJohn
    Offline / Send Message
    @BeardedMike
    Thank you man! These are unbelievable!
  • lilJohn
    Offline / Send Message

Hey everyone! I know it's been a while but the changes I was asked to make were pretty big! 

Thanks again

goswick.carbonmade.com