Home Technical Talk

Freeze Transform + Pivot Points

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
riuthamus polycounter lvl 11
So, I normally model all of my objects in a T pose. Recently, I have created a robot and needed the joints to line up with the pivot points of the connectors. In doing this the IK was not working as it should because it couldn't calculate properly without a bend. So, I unbound (removed all my weights) and manually rotated the faces to match a bent form. Once finished I remapped everything and re-weighted the objects.

ORIGINAL POSE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ikkh2s91me2exa6/Screenshot 2016-02-02 18.58.44.png?dl=0

NEW POSE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vavtknm5c5tj8p/Screenshot 2016-02-02 18.58.31.png?dl=0

The problem with this new pose is that when I attach the nurbsCurves and try to set them up for freeze transformation, they get wonky when I try to rotate the joints.

Rotated in the X axis:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1iw12p3j63zfwif/Screenshot 2016-02-02 19.00.41.png?dl=0

I know why it is doing this, the pivot point is set to world rotation because I freeze transformed it. But, this creates a problem where it twists improperly. I tried to modify the pivot point with the "insert" key but this resets after I unfocus. Which does me not good since I need this to be set on 3 joints. I tried to "pin the pivot point" but that doesnt work. I baked the pivot point but that adds a rotation to the X Y Z, which for an ideal situation is not good. You want to be able to go back to 0 (for animators) instead of remembering the default orientation.

Does anybody have a solution for this? If you need a video of what I am talking about I can make one.... just let me know.

Replies

• riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shameless bump. I can add a video if you guys need. I really do not know where to go with this and any attempt at finding a tutorial on how to fix this has been unsuccessful. Hence my post here. I only post here when I have found nothing else :(
  • Vii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii polycounter lvl 6
    There is no reason to modify his pose because of an IK handle. It would be preferable to fix your process rather than the result. Your explanation of the issue is very unclear and that's why you aren't getting responses.

What do you mean by saying that the IK couldn't calculate properly without a bend? It sounds like you're either saying you don't want a bend or you're saying that applying the IK handle is causing the joints to rotate. IK is meant to bend when used for an arm, if you want an IK solver that doesn't bend then change it to a single-chain solver instead of rotate-plain in the IK handle option box before creation. But I don't think that's what you actually meant.

If it's bending when you apply the IK handle then ensure the rotations on the joints are all 0,0,0. If it's bending in the wrong direction then apply a pole vector constraint from an object offset behind the arm but on the same plane as the arm.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vii said:
    There is no reason to modify his pose because of an IK handle. It would be preferable to fix your process rather than the result. Your explanation of the issue is very unclear and that's why you aren't getting responses.

What do you mean by saying that the IK couldn't calculate properly without a bend? It sounds like you're either saying you don't want a bend or you're saying that applying the IK handle is causing the joints to rotate. IK is meant to bend when used for an arm, if you want an IK solver that doesn't bend then change it to a single-chain solver instead of rotate-plain in the IK handle option box before creation. But I don't think that's what you actually meant.

If it's bending when you apply the IK handle then ensure the rotations on the joints are all 0,0,0. If it's bending in the wrong direction then apply a pole vector constraint from an object offset behind the arm but on the same plane as the arm.

When you apply an IK in maya you have to have a slight bend between the joints you are creating the IK from. If not, the IK doesnt know how to bend and creates improper results. Like i said, this is not simple to explain and is best explained with a video. Ill make it now. Thank you for the response.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zrHn9SornE&feature=youtu.be

Is the direct video that shows my problem, with a bit of background on what I am trying to do.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One final bump. I think I got something working but I really just want to know if there is any method for making the pivot point match the orientation I desire while keeping all the parameters at 0. Anyway, thanks
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Without seeing your outliner, i cant be sure but it looks like your nurbs curve does not have an offset/parent group. You should do the transforms for the controller on its offset group, so the curve stays zeroed but its transforms are inherited from the parent group. Also with ik handles, it is always a good idea to have the bend in the hierarchy, but you can do it on a straight chain, there's an attribute on the joints called preferred angle/axis (i think), set this up before creating the handle and the arm will bend in that axis