Home General Discussion

DAOC character pipeline (3ds Max 8!!!)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
Classic game but process talk might still be of interest to students or absolute beginners. Twitch cast date: January 17, 2016, artist demoing is Greg Grimsby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqzDkqcH3I

Replies

• doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Whaaaaa.

Just posting to say that I taught Greg Grimsby this pipeline when he started at Mythic about a million years ago. I made that terrible head model. It's real weird to see this pop up on polycount. . . . 
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think students should be using ancient workflows to make art assets.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Mstankow said:
    That seems like a very sweeping statement. If, for example, a student wanted to make items for Dota 2 workshop items, they'd get much better final results if they understood how to hand paint textures and construct low-poly geometry with good edge flow.

Additionally, most mobile and social games still require skills that were most relevant in the Quake 3 days. Low-poly modeling and UVs, low resolution hand-painted texture creation, rigging with tight restrictions on bone counts, and use of minimal shaders are still very relevant skill sets for people who don't want to work in AAA production. Hell, most indie games still use tech that was already outdated over a decade ago because it's generally faster to produce and easier to art direct.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    That really depends though. A lot of older workflows are still perfectly valid depending on what they are being applied to.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Mstankow said:
    I'd argue that it's entirely appropriate to start them off making assets with very OLD workflows, and then working progressively forward, so they understand the incremental advances of the technology and methods, how they have evolved, and WHY they have evolved.

Somebody who understands what's going on under the hood and how that system evolved to what it currently is, will know how to use it much better than somebody who simply knows which buttons to press.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    still a workflow that's used, I've seen people hilariously fail art tests who only know the highpoly bake pipeline.
  • CafeNight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CafeNight polycounter lvl 5
    at nova day dont need think, now workflow back and forward and vise versa where you just doing same thing every day and all its just mechanical skill
    sad but true 
    hand paint and low poly character more challenge
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Mstankow said:
    I'd argue that it's entirely appropriate to start them off making assets with very OLD workflows, and then working progressively forward, so they understand the incremental advances of the technology and methods, how they have evolved, and WHY they have evolved.

Somebody who understands what's going on under the hood and how that system evolved to what it currently is, will know how to use it much better than somebody who simply knows which buttons to press.
    Problem is students get stuck doing the wrong thing by the very point you are making. It's why you see people still use T-poses. I disagree on it making people actually think about what they are doing.