Home General Discussion

Little question about this industry.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
TheKlu polycounter lvl 9
On many jobs when you get certain age is almost impossible to get the job again if you get fired.
Does this happens in 3D Art world too?
Maybe beacause is easier to pay less to someone one that is a newbie than someone with 5-10+ years? I don't know
Thanks!

Replies

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    They can pay the new kid less but you will have far more experience. They may only make $12/hr but if it takes them 20hrs to do something you can do in 4hrs then it's not economically viable. Also that new person may need 5 hrs of help and meetings from a senior artist.

Companies aren't head hunting fresh out of school talent, if anything they probably lose money hiring a newbie and see him/her as an investment with potential.

Just from a general business perspective, I have a friend who overpays his employees (80k for a 60k job), because without his unique team and culture the company wouldn't work nearly as well.

Artists aren't factory workers and the dynamics of a business would not work like one (maybe for bigger teams like EA) but even then you need an experienced artist to guide them.

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    When you say fired... do you mean fired or laid off? Huge difference with that... Being fired means you fucked up and did something you werent suppose to do, which looks bad at every company from there on in. If you get laid off, it's just companies down sizing, which future companies dont generally care about. They know it happens. 

So if you mean laid off, I would say no. It wont be hard. Generally, from what ive seen, people with lots of years of experience, who are good at their jobs, tend to be picked up real quick. They have contacts all over the place, and people always recommend them, and try and help each other out. 
  • TheKlu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheKlu polycounter lvl 9
    Bletzkarn said:
    They can pay the new kid less but you will have far more experience. They may only make $12/hr but if it takes them 20hrs to do something you can do in 4hrs then it's not economically viable. Also that new person may need 5 hrs of help and meetings from a senior artist.

Companies aren't head hunting fresh out of school talent, if anything they probably lose money hiring a newbie and see him/her as an investment with potential.

Just from a general business perspective, I have a friend who overpays his employees (80k for a 60k job), because without his unique team and culture the company wouldn't work nearly as well.

Artists aren't factory workers and the dynamics of a business would not work like one (maybe for bigger teams like EA) but even then you need an experienced artist to guide them.

slipsius said:
    When you say fired... do you mean fired or laid off? Huge difference with that... Being fired means you fucked up and did something you werent suppose to do, which looks bad at every company from there on in. If you get laid off, it's just companies down sizing, which future companies dont generally care about. They know it happens. 

So if you mean laid off, I would say no. It wont be hard. Generally, from what ive seen, people with lots of years of experience, who are good at their jobs, tend to be picked up real quick. They have contacts all over the place, and people always recommend them, and try and help each other out. 
    Thanks you both! This have really helped me! :smile: 
    And yes, slipsius, i meant laid off, my english isn't very good...