Home Technical Talk

[ Solved ] Zbrsuh - low mesh quality - pixelated

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
error404 polycounter lvl 6
Hello guys,
I have a problem in Zbrush, a noob problem... I searched for answers but could not find any. I do not know how to explain this issue, so I will try explain it using images. :blush:

In the tutorial, the mesh quality look like the image below:

But in my Zbrush, looks like this: :disappointed:

I tried to add more divisions, but still strange. Anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thanks all

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    31K points is still pretty low, maybe subdivide once or twice more.  The first image in comparison is at 2.7 million.

Also your matcap might be contributing to the faceted look.  Try switching the material to something else and see if that helps.
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I think Bartlon is right, try upping the division some more. I know it may seem high since you already have it at 4 div but you must have started out with a very low poly box if it's only around 30 k after that many divisions. Give it two more, then try it out :)
  • error404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bartalon and Marshkin :smile:

It seems that the problem was in the divider, but when I click on the divider button, it just add vertical lines, can I add vertical and horizontal lines?

As can see, only vertical lines

Thanks again :)

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    You have to convert the cube to a polymesh first (make polymesh3D in tool palette).
    It's actually still a primivite and isn't editable. I don't know why zbrush allows to subdivide a primitive, and why it sudivides only on 1 axis, but zbrush is full of mystery.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    yup, NOORS is right. Try making it a primitive 3d and then subdivide until you get around 2.2 million polygons.
  • error404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Noors and Mistersande, but still strange...

I go, create a Cube > click "Edit" on top > click "Make PolyMesh 3D" > some click's on "Divide" button and I got this, edges got rounded ( chamfer )  :(

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    The rounding effect is a fundamental process of most types of subdivision (Catmull-Clark being a common type).  You will always lose volume as you subdivide, and the amount of volume lost will depend on the density of your mesh.

Turn off "smt" to the right of the Divide button to disable the smoothing effects of your subdivisions.  You can use this to retain the base shape better, then turn smoothing back on a few subdivisions in to give your shape nice rounded edges.
  • error404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did!, after try 20 times.. I got this :smiley:

Thanks everybody for the patience and thanks Bartalon to keeping faith on me xD