Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Uv help on model Share any tips and tricks?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Fazijinn polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys been suggested by a person to come to Polycount for some advice on how to UV. I've tried several methods on how to uv this character without making the seams too visible.  I've tried to paint them manually in 3D coat, mudbox, zbrush with projection tool I've also used body paint 3D. Haven't tried Mari may consider it. But anyway none of those will help with the UV's. Do you guys know any techniques or any smart ways of laying out the UV's or any examples? I've tried multiple options. And I've cutted up the Uv's in many different ways but this is the minimalist I can make it ; Here's a couple of snap shots. And yes its a different model on one of the UV's but the concept still stays the same It shouldn't matter too much.
And what I wish to achieve is a grid perfectly on the model with 0 distortion so they are evenly spaced. Kinda like a wire-frame that's what it needs to look like. I cant use my current wire-frame and bake it because there's too many edges It will look messy and over cluttered. Any advice will be deeply appreciated thank you for taking your time on reading this. 

Female

Female back: 

Male:

male alternate UVs:

UV_Snapshot_of_Male:

Replies

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Attach/Post images within polycount as jpegs to save us time.

Also post your uv layout as well.
  • Fazijinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper said:
    Attach/Post images within polycount as jpegs to save us time.

Also post your uv layout as well.
    done thanks for the suggestion on using polycounts own attach/post image system I can tell this forum will be quite fortuitous for my deeper understanding of 3D. And also The female one looks weird but it works better than cutting it all up. Its how I got away with most of it. 
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not a character artist however I have worked on characters in the past.

It is highly unlikely you will get zero distortion. You have to be creative in where to hide seams and be smart on how you texture. You can hide some via actual seams in clothing, cover with some type of geometry like a back pack etc.

Your uv layout needs work. Use as much uv space as possible. Pack in the uvs and utilize space. Most often the head has its own uv set and then the body a second.

The female's uvs are bad. Overlapping, needs to be unfolded, inconsistent.

Here is a fair example from Andor Kollar's Portfolio HERE

• Fazijinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh i see, but i've already attempted making it cut up, once I do that more seams appear, this model won't have hair or any accessories to hide the seams from. It will all be in the nude. Is there a way to get perfect grid lines on this because I've tried painting it through 3D coat and that didn't work. Even when my Uv's  were laid out like this example you have given me it wasn't evenly spaced out or going straight. Also with the female the reasoning behind why its like that is because it seems to work I know the UV's are overlapping but my UV editor has them shaded blue so no negative unwrapping I don't know if I move the UVs like this will affect it too much or if its wrong. If so I will immediately make the change and slide the arms to the right. Thank you for the reply if you have more suggestions keep them coming! it is deeply appreciated. Honestly. 
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not sure if you have ever textured something before, that is what I am getting from your posts.

Firstly, if UV hulls are overlapping they will share the texture that is in that space. So if you have detail that is intended for her chest that will show on any other UV that is in that same space. The reason for separating the UV hulls, like the above example I provided shows, is to retain unique-ness and be able to texture each body part on its own with its own detail. What the blue shading indicates is if the UVs are flipped.

Secondly, what you are calling grid lines I suppose is the texture you are using to see how the distortion impacts the mesh visually. Regardless, you will not get the grid lines or checker board pattern to perfectly line up this is due to how something is UV unwrapped. That is totally fine. Seams are totally fine. The checker pattern not lining up at seams is totally fine. What matters is how you texture after the UV projection process.

To explain uv mapping, in a real world and in a gross way, think of it as "skinning." If you were to take the "skin" off of a human, how would that look laid out on the floor? Think of a bear rug. UVs take the form of the animal or human in its 3D sense and lays it in a 2D version. The seams are where the cut was on the "skin."

I hope that helps.
  • Fazijinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah man I'm sorry if my thread shows or gives off connotations like that. I've been modelling for 8+ years and textured movie projects and everything but it has never been as complex as this. But I'm not here to talk about that I'm here because I was wondering if there was a certain technique in which I am missing since I am stuck in a tunnel vision.  Or if there is a new way of doing things, I completely understand where your coming from but dude you make those islands so you can paint a texture on top and give it that specific part. If you have a texture like this grid for example and its just on a Lambert lets say.... it's actually perfectly fine. I've had no issues with it in the past.  I know these UV's aren't the best in the world but they were quick concepts and just quick ideas to show you guys if there is an alternative way as this is a W.I.P thread not a fully completed Uv model; That's why the UV's are so spaced out and not using the space properly. I just wanted to show you guys if I'm doing ok but without spending all my time on it to find out that it was the wrong method. I hope I don't come off as sounding ungreatful because I'm far from that I'm super grateful out of a thousand people someone actually responded and tried to help me its wonderful. But I feel as though I've gotten no where those Grid weren't supposed to show distortion in the UV's that was the texture I wanted on top. Usually when you wish to see UV distortion and mess up's people use Checkered grids like how I did with the male alternate and i know seams are fine but remember I'm trying to cut down on them and make them less noticeable. I understand the skinning process  but its easy with skin since you know its all just one shade and you can cover up soo much stuff with freckles and skin pores.  You don't really need a complex UV layout for it. But The challenge in this is, to have everything perfectly squared so the grid reflects the wire-frame. And make it so the  seams are there but less visible. 
    Again thank you so much for your response and your way of describing skinning I sincerely appreciate it because it is some darn good explanations for people who haven't UV'ed before.  But I think I'm just terrible at explaining things hahaha