Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Gas Pump - Feedback

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
DweenieTodd polycounter lvl 3
Hi Polycounters.

I've recently been working on a project, which i feel i've completed, but open to feedback. Below are the images, and my artstation account if you would like to see it in Marmoset viewer.

Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0E4q8

My two problems with the prop are as follow:

1 - I feel maybe the nozzle is somewhat small. Same with the handle on the other end.
2 - I've of course gone for a rusted, old worn look. However, i haven't destroyed the mesh up, and thus i feel the result is less convincing, say had i destroyed up the mesh a bit (make it look as though it's caved in on itself.) 

I'm open to all critique :)

Thanks!
Deen

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Hey bud, good start.
    I'm not sure your current texture is working for you tho.
    There's a lot of noise and blury details going on, even for a rusty old gas pump, i can tell you sourced some photos, make sure they are high enough resolution for the texture, so your aren't up scaling, if you've done that then it might be texel density doing you in, i noticed more resolution on the nozzle than anywhere else on the mesh.

Also i feel the damage and decay isn't context sensitive enough. I'd love to see some directional rust drips, more rust down the bottom and in places water would build up. maybe some sun bleaching on the paint, from the top down. 

• DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DweenieTodd polycounter lvl 3
    @Fwap Hey thanks for the feedback.

I feel you're right, i don't think the decay is consistent, or at least making sense in the way it should. I'll definitely go back and tweak these details.