Home Technical Talk

Figurine/mannequin for 3D artist? (A or T pose)?

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
Can i buy (and where) a human sized proportionally realistic figurine (male or female or both) for 3D artist? I mean a figurine/mannequin like this:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Yo0AAOSwX~dWmbjQ/s-l1600.jpg

But in an A or a T pose... i want to put some clothes on him and scan him...

Can one buy somewhere such figurines/mannequins in A or T pose? I looked "all over the net" but i didnt find any figurine in any usefull pose (A T)...?

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I doubt you can find one, though you could probably make your own just by buying regular mannequins, breaking the mannequin apart and reconstructing the joints in the proper pose with some sort of clay, make a mold and then cast it. Won't be quick or cheap though.

Frankly I think it's a lot more time/cost effective to just buy a perpetual license to Marvelous Designer and use cloth sim for your clothing.

But if you want to go the scanning route my advice would be to just find someone to pose for you wearing the clothes.
  • Jonathan85
    Offline / Send Message
    I doubt you can find one, though you could probably make your own just by buying regular mannequins, breaking the mannequin apart and reconstructing the joints in the proper pose with some sort of clay, make a mold and then cast it. Won't be quick or cheap though.

Frankly I think it's a lot more time/cost effective to just buy a perpetual license to Marvelous Designer and use cloth sim for your clothing.

But if you want to go the scanning route my advice would be to just find someone to pose for you wearing the clothes.

The problem here is that the character posing WILL most likely move... thats why i want mannequin (or buy a rig of severakl cameras which is not cheap...)

I do not believe that there doesnt exist such figurine, there simply has to be one ....?
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I don't think they make them for the simple reason that it's impossible to put a jacket on a t-posed mannequin.

As an example, try putting on your coat with your arms in a t-pose....:)
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sounds like you'd need to construct some sort of rig yourself, perhaps from parts of an existing mannequin; one where you can fold/detach the arms.

i like the idea - fiddling with MD isn't exactly error-proof and always predictable and i might have lost a keyboard already to the process - but i kinda doubt the output from a camera-based scan session with some homebrew low-cost rig would be any good unless you have access to quite the setup. sounds like all the time potentially saved babysitting simulations would be spent cleaning up scans.

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I'd say look into the many instructions available for making one's own dress form. From there you could probably stuff it with a PVC tube armature for posing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=realistic+human+sized+doll&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7vrztgsrKAhWBaT4KHfKpBHAQ_AUIBygB&biw=1143&bih=834#tbm=isch&q=make+your+own+dressform
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    The problem here is that the character posing WILL most likely move... thats why i want mannequin (or buy a rig of severakl cameras which is not cheap...)

I do not believe that there doesnt exist such figurine, there simply has to be one ....?
    I've never done anything like this but I think you might be able to minimize the movement by setting up some handle bars or something for them to grip during the scanning.

You'll probably need to do some cleanup either way though, I can't imagine any scan is going to come out clean enough for you to just slap it on any mesh you want without editing. Whether the model moves or not.

• Jonathan85
    Offline / Send Message
     musashidan: The arms are detachable, so yes... theres no problem...

I was thinking about buying more different parts of a mannequin and then build one from separate parts.