Home Technical Talk

How do I use a desaturated asset?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
JustColorado triangle
A few months ago Epic released the assets from infinity blade.  I am using some them for a project I am working on.   They are very desaturated and bland looking, but they were able to make these models look really good.  They end up with this really high contrast beautiful looking model.   I really like this look.  And I have no idea what they did to get make this model render like that in real time on mobile.  I posted an example of a model in the engine, and what they got it to look like.  Does anybody know what I need to do with my project to make a desaturated model come out like this on Mobile?

Replies

• LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Lighting. Lighting is how they made it shine, literally. Also, possibly post-processing.
  • JustColorado
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
    Thank you.  
    Do you know what is the logic behind desaturating it so much?  
    Like you desaturate it and then you do what exactly with lighting to make a desaturated texture look good?
    And do you know what you can do with Mobile PostProc to make low contrast desaturated assets look so good?
    I think my mobile postprocessing options are not the same as desktop
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Its desaturated because most real materials are desaturated in their albedo. 
    The lighting looks to be a strong directional light. 
    They're also desaturated because the specular contribution adds to the color of the  model and the highlights need to appear more saturated than the shadows and average to appear as a highlight. Displays only have so much range so you need to start far enough below to have the lighting do its job without blowing the model out to white. 

Post FX on that is likely a contrast adjustment or something at most. 
  • JustColorado
    Offline / Send Message
    JustColorado triangle
    Vailias.  Thanks.  
    You are 100% correct about the directional light.
    I imagined it was a much more complicated lighting setup.  
    It already looks much better.  
    The desaturated model holds up perfectly with the directional light increased 10x over.
    It really brings out the color in this model.  
    And blows out a saturated model on the left to white.
    Exactly like you said.

2 questions:

Whatelse would you suggest I do to make this look better ?
       ( NOTE: this is for Mobile, and I was told that my postproc options on mobile are very limited. )
    Where can I learn more about doing this so I can have the other models in the level not blow out to white?