Home General Discussion

How many hours a day do you spend drawing?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Will_M polycounter lvl 4
I'm just curious to know and also if you're in school or have a job or just a hobbyist.

Replies

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    NOT FKING ENOUGH! I'm a student.

See the thing is, I know that if a pass a few hours on it everyday, I'll get good; I've witnessed it myself a few months ago where I drastically improved after daily drawing and practices. For no reason, I stopped to concentrate on 3D and I'm too much of a slackboy right now to pick a pencil again.

Uuurgh, to think my ultimate goal was to become a traditionnal animator...I'm still, young,better stop slacking -_-
    pls halp
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Between zero and one. Usually zero.

Hobbyist. Hoping to increase that to "usually one" this year....
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Anywhere between 4 hours and 14. I only pull such ridiculous stints as the latter regularly if I'm getting carried away with a personal project though, rather than any real work or just study/commission. I'd say my absolute minimum daily right now is 4, with 3 hours on commission/freelance, 1-2 hours on personal work/study, then using other hours for misc tasks, chores and slacking off by playing with 3D soft or my DAW. Maximum is more like 8-9. I burn out pretty quick if I run myself into the ground, so I'm trying to cool it off a bit recently... Keep it to work hours, 9-5ish (more like 7~7 but I take breaks often enough that it's really not ever 12 hours straight drawing, I think I'd die if I did that every day).

I'm taking weekends off for casual study, personal work and 3D work only, too, so I usually only get an hour or two in on weekends.

I graduated 2014, not employed as an artist in any reliable capacity right now.  I'm definitely not a hobbyist, though ;)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @BagelHero Stay strong and in there, Tuscon!

For me, most of my drawings happen during church admittedly.  So 2 hours at most if I'm cranking.

In between, maybe at most 3 hours during unemployment.

• Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    @BagelHero thats really impressive man, I do from 1 to 3 hours after work, so I get tired really fast, if you have any tips to stay longer hours I would love to hear them!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    @Finalhart
    I'm actually really bad at trying to fit in art after work or school. All my energy is usually well spent by then, it happens even in jobs where I only need to work 5 hours or so. However, I've found making sure that you get up as early as your body will healthily allow (I get up at 6:30AM, and try to get all my hard work done my 11), and also making sure you get exercise throughout the day (a work out and a walk for me) really really helps. Eat healthy and go to bed "on time" (whenever that might be for you) and things work more smoothly too, though I'm guilty of not following these ones often enough ;)

I also use todo lists and focus on getting tasks done, rather than the time it takes to do them. Some of the days where I've only worked 3-4 hours are my most productive. I use Habitica. The app needs some work but the browser version is one of the more fully featured todo lists I've used and it has an RPG aspect, if you're into that kind of thing. I also use Focus Booster and various Rain Sound generators when I just need to get shit done, both allow me to forget the time and just focus.

Additionally, love what you're doing, but let yourself off the hook when it's too much. Taking regular breaks can really really help your peace of mind and get you to stay focused for longer when you do work. And I'd personally say that 3 hours when you work full time is plenty, as long as that time is really spent doing art and being productive, or doing productive art. As mentioned before, pushing yourself beyond your limits too often is just asking for burnout and sadness. :p Of course, I'm just rambling here. Hope you can find something useful within this wall of text, haha.
  • miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    I draw for so long I cry sometimes for not being able to physically and mentally draw more.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Not enough, never enough =P
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    if I am in the mood can be for hours, I do on occasion prioritize study if I have certian aspects I wish to improve, once spent a whole week drawing nothing but rough perspectives, but typically just an hour a day and I tend to focus on one thing at a time, like lately its been noses, so I just draw about 60 noses from all angles again and again.
  • Defunct
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    I guess I'm a hobbyist.
    Some weeks ill draw for at least 2 hours a day, & some weeks I don't even care trying.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Up until recently, none at all. I'm working full time as a 3d artist, and I had pretty much stopped drawing altogether when I got into 3d art.

However, in the beginning of December I decided to pick it back up and get serious about it. I'm drawing about 1.5 hours on work days, which is pretty much the extend of my free time on those days. On each weekend day, I try to get in 2 to 3 hours, but sometimes I manage up to 5 hours.

I haven't skipped a day since I started. I've never been this consistent with drawing before, and I'm also seeing results like never before.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Usually about 1-3 hours.  Either between client work or being part of a 30 day sketch challenge.  
    Honestly I should be drawing more, but I definitely need to up my 3D work and just general art skills in general. 

• Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    Never enough when I can. ;)
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    I'm in the same boat as some of the others with between zero and none for me. I managed to start making a little money, dropped out of art school and haven't picked up a pen or pencil since. As a student I really only did what was required as far as drawing.  Granted everything I do now is hard surface recreations of real life things so there's not a lot of need to visualize or conceptualize projects. In fact we dont do concepts for anything. Anyway, I would like to get back into drawing a least a little bit but between work and family there's just no extra time. Really once I started working most of my personal projects flew out the window which is kinda sad and unfortunate. I need to get back into those bc I really think personal projects can  push you to grow and expand outside your limits.
  • meguskus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meguskus polycounter lvl 7
    Freelancer, 3-6 hours. We all feel like it's never enough, but as with everything it's the quality time that matters, not so much the quantity. Of course you need to draw more than once a week, but pushing yourself too hard for too long will result in more bad things than good ones.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Lately been doing just five, i have to stop myself and mess with 3d for a while though.
    You get that urge to draw all day long.