Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique My Portfolio

salochin59
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
salochin59 polycounter lvl 12
Hello. For the past couple of years I have been putting together my portfolio. During that time I was attending an art school called FuturePoly. I have received some excellent constructive criticism from them. What do you think?

http://www.nickulring.com/

Replies

• artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artofmars polycounter lvl 9
    Glad to see you on polycount, Its Dan from Futurepoly :]
    C&C:
    -Good that the first thing you see on the site is, your best work
    -I feel your organic environments are much stronger than your interiors and that may be from the lighting, may be something to look into. 
    - Id keep working towards really understanding PBR texturing, I have found studying peoples work in marmoset viewer has really helped me learn how to treat different materials. 

Keep it up!

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    I would scrap that website or heavily modify it. Its hard to actually look at your work, make sense of where new content begins/ends, and what is comprised of what. An art lead/director or Recruiter has 100s if not 1000s of portfolios to look over, their patience is boiled down to less than 10 seconds to make sense of your site. Make it easy for them and you have a better chance. Make sure to provide various renders of your piece, renders of each major prop, provide a wireframe shot, and texture flats as well. Make sure you also are using PBR texturing methods.

Use Polycount's great folio guide/wiki:

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Portfolio

I personally would suggest ArtStation as it is convenient and cuts most human error out of the equation.

Your header states you are a 3D Environment artist yet there is Design and animation content. This is not bad however, it is better to focus upon one aspect of your intended career path. What do you want to be? An animator, Prop artist, environment artist, designer, etc. whatever that is focus on that in your portfolio.

Just some suggestions, keep at it.
  • salochin59
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salochin59 polycounter lvl 12
    Thank you for the suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. If there is anything else on your minds. Please let me know.