Home Technical Talk

ZBrush: DynaMesh problems.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
final_fight polycounter lvl 9
Hello. Having some horrible problems dynameshing objects in Zbrush x64. Trying to get one watertight mesh with 10 millions points but even with 7 million I get this:

Replies

• final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can get 5.6 millions mesh, but anything higher just look like on the image above. Is even possible to dynamesh to 10 millions in ZBrush 4R7 P3 x64?
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    well that's a lot mate but I should work, it'll just take time, why do you want to dynamesh ?
  • Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    This is a completely wild guess but instead of increasing the DynaMesh resolution try increasing the size of the model under Tools > Geometry > Size > XYZ Size. My thought is that at very fine resolution the algorithm is messing up, but larger size and a smaller res might change the math to work.
  • final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's no problem with the amount of polys. Just dynameshing to over 7 mil results in a broken mesh, picture above shows it dynameshed to ~7 mils.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Dynamesh really isn't designed for going that high, it's meant to be used in the blockout stages of a mesh, and then you just subdivide normally from there.
  • final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For 3d printing I need it to be dynameshed that high. Question is not about why I need this, it's I get artefacts when going over 5 mils of polys with DynaMesh.
  • Internet Friend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Internet Friend polycounter lvl 9
    My suggestion wasn't to reduce the amount of polys. Increasing your mesh's size in world space will increase its polycount after Dynameshing, as Dynamesh's resolution is set in world space. 

The result you're getting is similar to what happens when you Dynamesh something with a hole or twisted, self-penetrating polygons so I'm wondering if Dynamesh is hitting some kind of precision error that would change with a larger mesh and lower Dynamesh resolution.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    For 3d printing I need it to be dynameshed that high. Question is not about why I need this, it's I get artefacts when going over 5 mils of polys with DynaMesh.
    The "why" is important because there may be better ways to solve your problem but that depends on what you're trying to achieve.

If you're trying to use dynamesh to retopo an existing object then you could duplicate your object, dynamesh at a fairly low resolution then subdivide it and reproject your details from your source mesh.