Home Technical Talk

Xnormal and miltiple textures

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I am usually using Xnormal to bake AO and I was wondering if thereis a way tobake an object that has different textures , rather than having to bake one at time , I can't find an entry for multiple entries. <br>Thanks for any answer.<br>

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Just go to the 'Baking Options' section and check all the boxes that you want to bake corresponding maps for.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Just go to the 'Baking Options' section and check all the boxes that you want to bake corresponding maps for.
    I know that, what I mean is that there is only one single output file , unless I ammissing something , I wanted to be able to output multiple output files.
    For example I have a model that uses different textures and so uvmaps if I load that model and have only one output it will overwrite and overlap the backed AO , instead I wanted to have each piece of the model with its own uvmap to be baked on a different texture .
    How can I do that?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) Didn't think it would be that simple.

No, Xnormal can only output a single bake at a time. You can of course add multiple meshes(provided the UVs don't overlap) and XN will combine the bake to that single output.

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    :) Didn't think it would be that simple.

No, Xnormal can only output a single bake at a time. You can of course add multiple meshes(provided the UVs don't overlap) and XN will combine the bake to that single output.

So basically I need to arrange the uvmaps of all the pieces into one single supersized Output and then cut them apart in Photoshop I guess?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yes, but if your going to do that and want multiple normal maps as your output then why not maximise you UV space on each model instead of chopping up a single output and sacrificing precious UV space?

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    what you mean by maximize?
    Anyway I have a max limit of 1024 x 1024 texture size.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maximise as in to squeeze all the texel density you can out of your layout. What is your intention? To have 3 separate sets of 1K maps?
    What I'm saying is if you bake all the meshes to a comped 4K map(for example) and chop it apart into 1K maps then you are losing out
    on valuable UV space.