Home General Discussion

Professional Desktop Workstation advice - no custom built

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
lordsme polycounter lvl 8
Hey Polycounters,

I'm going to buy a desktop workstation for my work and I'd like to hear from you any advice you'd like to give me.
No homemade custom builds, I need something reliable with a typical 24/7 "next business day" warranty. I live in Italy. So I was looking at Dell and HP workstations... (been using Dell mobile workstations for years).

Main usage: content creation for both 3D real-time and offline graphics, content creation and rendering (Maya, Max + VRay, MARI, Photoshop, Unreal, Unity, ZBrush).

Some specs: RAM 32GB or more, SSD for OS and current working projects, any NVIDIA card with performance like my current Quadro K3100M or better. I'm not sure about CPU, not very interested in a lot of cores since I find that a lot time-counsuming operations are usually single thread (Maya combine, etc). Anyway for VRay rendering they might help :)

Budget:  4000$-5000$ (with display)

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    you can add fujitsu, boxx and lenovo to your list. between those i suppose you'll have the usual suspects covered. then it's more a case of checking out which base model fits your budget and who offers what level of support in your region. i suspect you are best off to not order a quadro card and rather go for a consumer model or order it with the lowest tier and swap the part yourself because, you know, that budget is just the starting point for a workstation... ;)
    apple also does a seemingly quite nice workstation. the OS is the seller since it's nicely multithreaded as opposed to windows where i can make the mouse cursor stutter with a simple background process... max is the one program on your list that's not compatible there, obviously.

your use case might still be better served by a consumer level machine though. workstations are typically more about multiple processors often with lower clock-frequency, many cores and options that probably are not relevant for someone who just needs a fast machine for interactive 3D work. at your budget you could probably buy two identical machines that each match a low end workstation on performance and use one as a backup for the other to make sure you never have proper downtime while waiting for the machine to get serviced.
    one thing to look out for with workstations is also noise. these are not necessarily as silent as a modern PC since they are intended to also be run in server rooms and harsher environments than your usual air-conned office. check out reviews touching on that!

• lordsme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Thomasp,
    interesting advice! 2 consumer/prosumer workstations might be an idea :) I'll check the prices.

I've been using my Dell M6700 for ~4 years now, recently upgraded to 24GB RAM. I did a lot of quite serious real-time and off-line work. Anyway I tend to work with single assets, but with many software running at the same time (especially for texturing). I also love Dell warranty/service: an old Precision I got broke 2/3 parts (motherboard, quadro card...) and I got them replaced very quickly for free. For my current M6700 I payed something like $4000. I thought that now that I don't need to travel a lot, a desktop workstation "of the same power" might be cheaper. Probably I was wrong...

BOXX are interesting but from Italy it might be a problem. Anyone has some opinion about HPs (ie z840) vs Dell?
    Thanks!!

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yeah i would make the comparison most definitely. for applications that require mostly good single-thread performance a quality consumer PC with the fastest i7 and a big graphics card is probably equal to any workstation for modelling/texturing/compositing (but not rendering, simulation, obviously). only the highest end professional GPUs might have the upper hand in terms of available video memory - mari would benefit from that. but they don't fit that budget of yours.

the HP Z-series are good i think. very common on the high end. rather silent for workstations as well, from what i remember. don't count out lenovo though, they are what was formerly sold as IBM intellistations which were very well engineered beasts. not great to listen to though... ;)

if you have an opportunity somewhere near to you, go check out the apple machine. should be pretty neat for your purposes with that 6-core 3.7 ghz CPU option. as said their OS is very responsive and a definite advantage (if you can live with compatibility). also, there's an awesome photoshop alternative available for only that platform that is incredibly fast.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I'm pretty happy with my Dell T3600 - works like a champ. Very stable. Latest crash must have been a year ago. Also very silent - the most noisy thing is the old AMD Radeon I put in. The only problem with dell is expansion. Not that there's not enough space, but Dell only gives you the bare minimum of cables, only covering the items you ordered with the box. I had to buy all kinds of SATA cables, power cables and what not to add my SSDs and upgrade the GPU.

I have a HP Z workstation at work now; also works quite well. Also very silent, and light! (I remember I had a HP workstation in 2007 and it felt like it weighted a ton). We had some Lenovo machines too, but we abandoned them after 1 year and switched to HP. IT wasn't too happy with them.
  • lordsme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for these advices!

Aside the consumer-level solution, I had a look at HP and Dell.

HP z840 seem quite expensive compared to Dell Precisions. But there's no HP online configurator so I'm not sure.
    I made a Dell Precision t5810 configuration (without display) that might suit my needs:

Intel® Xeon® E5-1620 v3 (4C, 3,5 GHz, 10 MB, 140 W) - July 2014
    RAM 32GB (4x8GB) (256GB MAX)
    NVIDIA® Quadro® K4200 4GB (2 video cards MAX)
    HD SATA 2TB 7200RPM + SSD 256GB (4 slots MAX)

Price: ~$3500

Anyway available processors seem a bit old (but seems the same for HP workstations).
    But the new Dell Precision t5xxx worstation line might be available not very soon from now (I see that the previous was released in 2012, so it means a ~2.5 years cycle)...

• Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    I use the same Dell workstation at work, T5810, as you speced out except 16gbs of ram... it's not really great. Rendering isn't impressive since it's 1 CPU max, if you do a lot of rendering you'd probably want at least a dual CPU capable machine... more the merrier for rendering. We have old HP Z600 machines with 2x old Xeon @ 2.5ghz that renders twice as fast as the T5810 on 3dsmax 2015 MentalRay. Quadro K4200 has low # of CUDA cores so not great if you want to do hardware rendering, even with 2x K4200s. 
    You'd wanna check to see if K4200 is supported by software you use... K4200 isn't compatible with Mudbox 2011 and wouldn't bake displacement maps. Might not be a problem with the software you use, but worthwhile to check before you buy.

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I may be wrong on this (and I don't have the Dell website at hand), but isn't the E5-1620 the single CPU version model, while the 2620 is the dual CPU version? I know the T5810 is pretty much the T3610 but offers dual CPU capability. However if they give you the 1620  (which makes sense for Dell, if you only order 1 CPU to begin with, because it's cheaper for them) then you may not be able to simply put a 2nd CPU in for a cheap upgrade. You may want to do some research on this.