Home Technical Talk

Rocket League Sparkle Effects

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
thegreyman1 polycounter lvl 11
Does anybody know how the Rocket League Devs made this super cool sparkly shader for the ground?

You can see it below, the sand sparkles especially when the camera moves over it. Its a little weird that its on sand but still cool, its usually on snow actually. I'm not a programmer of course but is there a specific name for the type of shader/technique used here?

https://youtu.be/XuZACZAz-ko 

Replies

• Jeckari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeckari polycounter lvl 11
    Taking a wild flying guess, the way I'd do it is to use the camera's XY position to lookup a coherent noise function. The noise function produces a value from 0 to 1, and then you could use the camera's height / Z coordinate and the height of the terrain to control the "size" of the sparkle, by simply using it to cut off at what point the white begins-- saying something like -- "any noise result above (Z height modulus constant) is increasingly white, as it approaches 1.0". 

I'd have to work it out in code to make sure the results looked appropriate, but that's the general tack I'd start on. Maybe factor in time and the camera angle into the noise as well, so that the sparkles change dependent on those factors. 
  • thegreyman1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thegreyman1 polycounter lvl 11
    Interesting, thanks :)