Home Technical Talk

Ripping a 3d model/environment from a webpage?

mon246
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
mon246 polycounter lvl 2
Beginner here,

I found an interactive experience on the Universal Orlando website where the user can explore a 3D environment of Hogwarts, Diagon Alley and the village of Hogsmeade from the Harry Potter universe. The user can point and click to move to various pre-set locations and move the camera 360° to view the environment. This is more clumsy and awkward to manoeuvre than I'd like. I want to be able to explore the environment more thoroughly to analyse and explore how the models are constructed.  Here's a link:

https://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/salesclients.html

What I want to do is "rip" the mesh from the website and view the 3D models in Autodesk 3D Studio Max so that I can view the environment with more ease and from different angles. I think it uses Flash Player to display the environment but I know very little about that sort of thing. Anyone have any idea whether this would be possible?

Obviously I would only use the models for reference/educational/exploration purposes and have no intention to reproduce anything using someone else's work.

http://imgur.com/a/TTbOM

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, we at Polycount do not condone ripping 3D content from games, webpages or otherwise, and further discussion on this topic may result in your thread being closed or deleted.

Secondly, it doesn't look like this is real-time 3D at all, but rather a series of pre-rendered 2D panoramas with some particle effects on top.
  • brurpo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brurpo polycounter lvl 8
    Ripping anything from a closed licensed software, for study or otherwise, is illegal. You will not receive help here.
  • mon246
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mon246 polycounter lvl 2
    Okay, I apologise. Discussion ended.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, it's easy. Forget these guys.
    To rip the models all you need is:

a screwdriver
    a pair of clippers
     the bottle cap of a beer
    and 2 large rubber bands.

So, you hook the screw driver to the front of the cpu, and then put the rubber bands on your mouse.
    The bottle cap you put it under the laser mouse.

the pair of clipers is just to throw you off. lolol, obviously you don't need them to rip models.

If you have done this correctly, the model will appear on your desktop.

If not, it's probably because you did something wrong.

Let us know how it went! Always glad to help!
  • mon246
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mon246 polycounter lvl 2
    Man, it's easy. Forget these guys.
    To rip the models all you need is:

a screwdriver
    a pair of clippers
     the bottle cap of a beer
    and 2 large rubber bands.

So, you hook the screw driver to the front of the cpu, and then put the rubber bands on your mouse.
    The bottle cap you put it under the laser mouse.

the pair of clipers is just to throw you off. lolol, obviously you don't need them to rip models.

If you have done this correctly, the model will appear on your desktop.

If not, it's probably because you did something wrong.

Let us know how it went! Always glad to help!
    Instructions unclear, deleted System32