Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Prevent patterns from mirroring

I have some game meshes that im trying to retexture.

Problem is that with some parts like power armor helmets you can see dirt and scratch patterns repeating in areas that are similar such as around the eyes etc.

Is there a way to randomize this more so it looks more natural other than going in with a brush and altering them by hand?

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Worsin!

There's a variety of methods to avoid repetitious details - all of them subjective and entirely dependent upon your normal map and/or low-poly curvature map. You can play with most of the settings in DynaMask to reduce or effectively eliminate repeating patterns - although it's much easier to do this with dDo Painter than it is by trying to wrangle the settings to get the effect you're looking for. However, combining dDo Painter with heavily customized curvature masking can create astounding results.

My advice is to play around with the DynaMask settings - try adjusting texture scaling, adjust Displacement (should be Curvature input but the ability to blur it if you haven't added a height map on base creation), use object-space normals, etc. :smile: Let me know if you need assistance!
  • Worsin
    Hey Worsin!

There's a variety of methods to avoid repetitious details - all of them subjective and entirely dependent upon your normal map and/or low-poly curvature map. You can play with most of the settings in DynaMask to reduce or effectively eliminate repeating patterns - although it's much easier to do this with dDo Painter than it is by trying to wrangle the settings to get the effect you're looking for. However, combining dDo Painter with heavily customized curvature masking can create astounding results.

My advice is to play around with the DynaMask settings - try adjusting texture scaling, adjust Displacement (should be Curvature input but the ability to blur it if you haven't added a height map on base creation), use object-space normals, etc. :smile: Let me know if you need assistance!
    Wow thanks for the prompt response!

Since i have your attention im wondering if you can provide information on another issue.

Im currently making textures for Fallout 4 which uses a colored specular map where Green is Reflection etc.

Being very new to texturing im wondering how i can create these using Quixel.  It seems all of the export options provide Black and White specular maps, Gloss Maps, Roughness Maps etc.  None of which are colored the way the maps are for Fallout.

Again thanks for your initial response!
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    From a cursory glance at Fallout 4 textures, it looks like the red channel of your *_reflection.* texture contains your Metallic map, whereas the Green channel contains your Roughness map. Blue appears to be SubSurface Scattering. You may be able to use the Unreal 4 RMA-packed export and shift the *_reflection.* channels around in the final output map. :smile: Give that a shot, let me know how it works!
  • Worsin
    Hmm, just tried to export to Unreal 4 RMA and it just hangs at 30%.
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It may take a few minutes to generate the textures necessary for that profile, if they didn't exist already. If giving it five to ten minutes doesn't work, try force-closing Photoshop and the Suite, then right click on Photoshop and run it as an administrator. Close it, and reopen the Suite afterward and attempt once more. :smile:

Failing that, let me know what your system specs are and we'll see if there's some issues there.
  • Worsin
    Ok they finally exported and i ended up with 4 PSD Files

Albedo, Normal, reflection and specular.

Problem is opening each one i end up with blank images inside.  Even the Albedo has none of the textures i added to my model, everything is just blank but various colors.

For example my specular is just solid dark gray. Albedo is a light gray, reflection is a super light green etc. No textures at all.
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Try adding the AlbedoM and Roughness maps into your project before you export with any UE4 profile - see if that helps. :smile: