Home Technical Talk

Milkshape Select Tool Not Working?

(Not sure if this post is meant to be here?)

Okay- I have asked so many people who use milkshape to create sims 3 cc (which is what I am doing), and I have asked on other forums and  got many views...but no replies.

Basically, I've just started getting the hang of milkshape, and have been working on plain and boring objects. I really want to do a curved mesh but my select tool is not working what-so-ever?

Here's basically what it's doing:
1- It acts as though it needs calibrating, it always starts selecting something a few cm away from where I have clicked my mouse... I'm not sure that makes much sense so here's a picture:

2- It never actually selects anything? Nothing. Faces, Vetexes, Groups, Joints. Nothing?? These are my settings on it:

More images can be provided, I will even make a short video if none of this makes sense.
I'm really desperate to make more objects for TS3 but not many people are willing to help/won't help at all.

Thanks,
Zira

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MilkShape3D, now there is a name I have not heard in a long time... (thousand-yard stare).

Honestly I would use just about any other free or near free software out there and use MS3D just for importing and exporting, but only if you really need it. Blender beats MS3D, it's not even a close race and I'm not a fan of Blender, I mostly avoid it like the plague. 

Personally I think you should get yourself the educational version of Maya, Max or look into Modo Indie.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I've seen really old 3D editors from the 32 bit era that were never programmed with 16:9 aspect ratios so all the viewport contents would stretch to fit modern screens rather than display their correct proportions.  This could lead to selection issues like what you are experiencing, but I have no idea how well-maintained Milkshape is. 

I'd have to agree with Mark and say do yourself a favor and pick up Blender, Maya, Max, or Modo.  Blender is completely free to use commercially right out of the box so it's a popular choice for hobbies and small projects like this.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Whenever I have to use Milkshape (and this is really really rare) I just use it as file converter. Import -> Export.
    Just like the other said.. Pick another tool.