Home General Discussion

WTF is this new Polycount???

Hey,

Haven't been here in a while and just posted, noticing this awful awful new layout. The first thing that struck me was the avatar 
image is like 512x now, and all text defaults to double spaced even though it's single space in the composer.

What the hell went on while I was gone? Did Polycount just recover from a hack and their CSS got broken or something?

Replies

• JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Because you're way too late to voice your concern, it was already said by a lot of member back then when the new site design launched.

People already accustomed by the new design right now. So get used to it too, man.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    RaptorCWS said:
    context?
    He doesn't like the new site design.  

Looks like one of the mod here edited his first post. 
    Yeah, it looks perfect guys.
  • SideEffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    Because you're way too late to voice your concern, it was already said by a lot of member back then when the new site design launched.

People already accustomed by the new design right now. So get used to it too, man.
    I don't think everyone is accustomed to the new design. I'm certainly not, it's way worse than it used to be when it comes to trying to read the content on here.

Everything is ginormous, less actual content fills the screen, I have to scroll way more than I used to. If I try to zoom out to see more, the forum becomes a skinny column. In the 'what are you working on thread' I used to be able to zoom in on the picture there with the browser's zoom, now the top bar takes over half the screen when I do this.

It's just poorly designed and the last time I and others have criticized it, the only response there seemed to be was "Oh you'll get used to it".
    It's really discouraging because I've been on here for years and have loved this forum but it's becoming a pain in the ass to browse it now for not much of a good reason.
  • feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I originally wrote more, but then edited my own post after coming to terms with the fact that clearly a person or people in positions of authority here are unable or unwilling to receive criticism. 

The site is poorly designed, when I first logged in today and saw it first I genuinely thought their CSS had been screwed with and they were recovering from an intrusion. 

A line break is inserted BEFORE AND AFTER in line emojis sometimes...LOL come on :). Zoom the page in and out...lol COME ON. 

"People already accustomed by the new design right now" - Fired web developer.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    It should get better eventually, as the Mods already know from the main threads (that were locked a few weeks back) what people want changed.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    It's been mentioned a few times that design is not final it will be tweaked. It is far from perfect so I hope the next version will take a few steps back to a more standard look.
    That said, I don't get why the original threads about new design have been closed, and later removed. Maybe it was done to avoid redundant bug reports, but I don't see the need to kill all the discussion.

• feracon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Constructive criticism is a cornerstone of the industry this community is centered around. Seeing threads with design feedback on their platform being deleted is more than disappointing. 
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I voiced my suggestion about adding FORUM HOME to the breadcrumbs, and it was delivered. So I am happy now.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The new site has been live for a good while now and there was an extensive window of testing and feedback.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Just wait for the next update, sheesh. If it was that important to you, you would have gone back and read through the announcement, suggestions and bug threads, and probably found your requests/suggestions/complaints are most likely already addressed (noted and getting worked on; just wait for the Vanilla team to develop and push them through) or are outright redundant. A ton of stuff has been promised to be added into some sort of more major update; repeating stuff people have already mentioned is kinda moot until then.

It's crit, yeah, but it's not entirely constructive at this point.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the ginormous size of things seems very mobile-oriented. i visit some other boards that still use the kind of style polycount used to have and the difficulty to navigate the old style on a small high res screen is very apparent.

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    The only thing I really mind is the missing "Latest Posts" button, I navigated Polycount through only this page before, and now that it's gone I hate having to go back and forth in the different sections to see what's new. Hopefully it'll come back!
    Rest of the design seems fine to me.

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    There's a difference between criticism, and "looks like shit". You were closer to the "looks like shit" side of things. I don't remember your original text, but your 'criticism' was harshly worded. 

I DO feel like the original crit post should have remained, until things were updated, to help prevent posts like these. It would add more context of why mods are exhausted of reading the same critiques.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    thomasp said:
    i visit some other boards that still use the kind of style polycount used to have and the difficulty to navigate the old style on a small high res screen is very apparent.

About as apparent as the difficulty to navigate the new polycount style on PC screen...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moderator note: We restored the OP. We think it's better to have a healthy discussion about things that members care about.

However, please be considerate with the tone of your posts, as a general rule.

We've had a lot of feedback about the new site. And we're working diligently to improve things.

It may help to refresh your memory about the things we've all agreed to in the Information sticky:

Respect Your Fellow Artists 

Some simple guidelines for showing respect to other artists of Polycount.
    1. Be courteous, polite and show respect to others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right.
    2. Engage your brain before your mouth. You are responsible for your own words and any harm they may cause.
    3. Don't post irrelevant nonsense in any of the non-General Discussion forums
    4. If you are posting controversial content which may offend some people, there is always a chance one of our moderators will remove it. If its removed, that is final and it will not return.
    5. Critiques and responses to images are to be constructive and related to improving the quality of the artwork. Our members love to see others improve and succeed. Always keep this in mind when posting.

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Someone made a userstyle here that fixed many of the issues I've had with the new format. Just gotta install the stylish chrome extension and you're good to go
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hmm I tried to post a new topic for my folio update and got a message saying it has to be approved first
    been posting here since 2003 so i don't think I am  a spam bot. Is this a short term thing?

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz this kind of thing is best via PM. Anyhow, made a small change, try it now. (PM me if you run into trouble)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ahh ok, didn't mean to be a bitch:), will try again later
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Haha - yikes! 

Lots of members have echoed your (albeit colourful) opinion on the new site. We have bugs to address first (we're nearly done!) then we are going to go and look at formatting changes. Font size and spacing, for example, will be something we address.

We don't need another round of feedback on the site, though, and I'd like to avoid an echo chamber so we'll close this thread. When we've pushed a format/layout change to the site, we can have another discussion then.

In the mean time, if anyone wants to talk about the site, feel free to email me directly: adam(AT)polycount.com

This discussion has been closed.