Home Technical Talk

Progression Path For Learning 3D

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
gredgie polycounter lvl 7
So, some time ago I wanted to get into 3D but I then foolishly dived in to trying to create a human character and effectively crashed and burned. This time, armed with Blender, I want to progress in a smoother manner by working on simple things and working my way up as my knowledge increases.

To that end, my current idea is to create small simple objects for a room scene and eventually place them all together. Although right now, I'm more or less just following YouTube tutorials, which are no doubt subtly teaching me my way around the interface and how to go about certain tasks, but I wonder if there is an optimal learning curve to everything?

Since the world of 3D modelling contains a LOT of stuff which makes it seem overwhelming if not taken in small simple steps. Though from similar threads on here, it seems like the general consensus is "just make stuff, if you encounter a hiccup, ask for assistance as to how to overcome it and march ever onward".

Replies

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    I've given this a lot of thought and wanted to chime in. I'm self taught for about 11 or so years, taught classes in high school on 3D, attended college for it but already knew as much or more than my professors (hopefully this doesn't sound like bragging, just the raw truth haha). I tutored a good number of my classmates until I left.

A while back I came up with a scheme for learning 3D that parallels how a lot of things, like writing, are approached. Start with the most core aspect, figure out how to take that to the end, then refine. Here's what I mean in practice:

Start with modeling, doing simple objects like everyday things and maybe put them in an environment. Then, begin to learn about how those models can have materials applied to them (know the difference between textures, shaders, and materials and how they work together). Unwrap your models and experiment with some simple texturing. Now, put lights into your scene and experiment with how different lighting setups can create different moods and how their properties work. The last step is rendering, which I'll admit gets very technical, but it's not so bad when you're learning the vocabulary along the way. Get comfortable with your 3d app's rendering and figure out what other people are doing to produce good results.

(Concepting? ->) Modeling -> Materials -> UVs -> Texturing -> Lighting -> Rendering

Then go back and refine your understanding of each of these processes. How can you make better models? What techniques are there for approaching modeling. Always keep asking questions about how it all comes together. Learn how other software works as well. Don't just try making things in one program. Get a hold of Substance Designer, Zbrush, a game engine, etc. and form knowledge about the nuance behind 3D. There's a billion approaches to doing the same thing, so you want to find the right perspective to wade through it all. Naturally, you'll find some software does different jobs better. Spend time just mucking around with what the programs can do!

Something that nobody ever wants to do but is absolutely critical is to actively read the program manuals. This could save so many people a lot of pain. It helps me to this day. It's important to learn about how the developers intended the software to be used. Learn the vocabulary that's used in addition to techniques. Wikipedia and the Polycount Wiki have a lot to offer here. And of course as you said, always ask for assistance if you're stumped!

My last bits of advice. Don't get too attached to things, but don't throw your work in the trash and start over every time you have a problem either. People usually have trouble with one of these. They'll overcommit to something they don't have the skill for at the moment and burn out, or they'll start from scratch every time they push a polygon in the wrong direction. As you work look at what other people are doing and gauge your skill compared to theirs. Look at art outside your discipline as well, because that will often inspire you even more! Spend time drawing or painting in order to develop your eye. This will help your design skills tremendously.

I hope you find this beneficial :)
  • gredgie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies folks!

Fortunately I'm not too shabby at 2D skills since I dabble with digital painting already. You both touch on K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid) approaches which is nice. I guess despite my previous attempt to nose-dive into character modelling, I'm more inclined to focus on environment stuff since I'm ever falling in love with environments these days. My goal also would be game assets over film and such since I'm part of a Ludum Dare game jam team, so I'll want to get to grips with low-poly stuff too.

Admittedly, one of the things I'm intrigued to learn is in fact how to rectify mistakes as non-destructively as possible. For example, ignoring the placeholder textures:

My attempt at creating a set of double doors complete with door frame went pretty well, save for the point I came to attach door handles and realised I'd not left a flat surface around the bevelled (possibly the wrong term) parts. But it got me thinking as to "how would I add flat topology around each bevelled area without destroying the door?". One of my chief worries is, as SomeDoggy says, misplacing topology or some such on a larger model and feeling the only outcome is to start again.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Do you have a reference you're going off? You could add loops around each of the box shapes and create flat borders. I take it you want it a bit like this?

Alternatively, you could split the edges around each of the chafered boxes so that they're now separated meshes. Then by grabbing just the edge verts of each box and moving them around you can change the size of the boxes without affecting the profile of the chamfers. If you need more help, could you share a wireframe/textureless render of what you have got?
  • pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Gredgie,

I have been teaching 3D for 5 years in college and believe me to become really efficient in doing almost anything you wish will take at least 3 to 5 years.
    You can easily notice the difference between professional work and beginner work.

Even if i love what i do i wouldn't recommend anyone to get in that field since the wage are ridiculously low for the amount of knowledge required.

Also the best 3d artists out there have almost no social life at all since they are glued to their screen and that the reason they become so good.

I know we live in the generation of the " I want to make a MMO" but reality catch all of them very shortly since the vast amount of knowledge required to make a game will make for a lot of broken dreams to happen.

Not saying that it is impossible but just that it is a tremendous amount of work and dedication that often fall in the broken dreams basket.

I spent close to 80 hr a week in front of my screen and i have been plague with RSI more often than i would want and as an advice stay away from a mouse and get a Wacom tablet and a space navigator since with them i am now free from crippling RSI.

• gredgie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SomeDoggy, here is the wireframe for the door:

It's effectively just a rectangle, split in three with inset faces etc going on. If I were to re-do it, I'd do the same only ensure there's flat topology around the parts I'm insetting faces into. But with as it currently is, it seems I've screwed myself just by not giving myself any breathing room to add edge loops?

Pixelquaternion, I have no lofty ambitions really, at the end of the day, if I can churn out simple game assets for future Ludum Dare events I'll be pretty content. I mean, the reason I chose to model a room first is a nod to my love of Resident Evil. I love the sense of atmosphere that can be achieved with 3D, you can truly make environments that look like they're inhabited. I do have a Cintiq (the smaller variety) I can use instead of a mouse, though for now I might just see how it goes with the mouse in the name of navigating my way around Blender.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Does this help?

• gredgie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is awesome, SomeDoggy, you are a star!

I imagine there are many unfixable pitfalls that I'll soon fall down into and swiftly learn to avoid.
  • gredgie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I attempted this (at 3am after a busy day) but kept getting weird issues with faces not being part of my new mesh from selection. I question if my shoddy door is even more shoddy than I thought. Nevertheless, the concept of how to rectify the issue still seems simple.