Home General Discussion

Create a Top-Down Shooter/Rpg

Anyone have any good links or tutorials on making a top down game? 

I am leaning towards using the Unreal Engine.

I have Zbrush and Maya so i can make the 3d art assets, i just don't know how to apply them.

This will be my first time creating a game, i saw a tutorial on how to code the mouse to move the player where you click it which sparked my interest in making a game, but it was using the Unity Engine. I would be fine with using either, but i would like to know what the more experience lot has to say about this situation.

Would love as much info as possible, thank you!!

Replies

• ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    There is an example top down game template included as part of the engine.
  • Eric Chadwick
    In my experience, Unreal has more artist-friendly tools included by default, and the features are pretty well documented. Unity is a bit easier to learn when starting from scratch, and has better mobile support.
  • xane7
    ambershee said:
    Unreal or Unity?    A template would be a good start to ease into the process, which if that is what the majority do i will just do.  

I am also looking for code editing programs and anything else needed to create one more from scratch i would say.

What i am REALLY asking for is if anyone here uses any tutorials or has any nice references to go off of to guide me through the process.
  • Eric Chadwick
    What have you searched for so far? Have you checked the Unreal site? Have you googled? What were your search terms and what did you find?

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before
  • RyanB
    Use RPG maker - top down, RPG and noob friendly.  You can get it super cheap during sales. 
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    xane7 said:
    ambershee said:
    Unreal or Unity?    A template would be a good start to ease into the process, which if that is what the majority do i will just do.  

I am also looking for code editing programs and anything else needed to create one more from scratch i would say.
    Given that you said that you were considering using Unreal, I think it stands to reason that I was referring to Unreal?

Also, 'code editing programs' - have you done any research into either engine? Both will have Visual Studio project files...
  • xane7
    I guess this is a stupid question to ask then?

All i was asking is if anyone with experience making a top-down game has a library or storage of tutorials or documentation they would like to share to help me with the process, preferences on other programs they used, Ect.. 

I have been to the Unreal site but can't find anything pertaining to "Top-Down", its all 3rd and first person stuff... I am not sure if i need to model different because its a top-down game or if the 3rd person tutorials being the same as a top-down... Does it matter that they are 3rd person tutorial's because i know its just the position of the camera...... 
  • .nL
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    Learn the basics of the engine, first. There may be tutorials out there for unreal (first google result is exactly that), Unity's tutorial games are almost exclusively top-down, and you may get somewhat far following them.

But building a game isn't a paint-by-numbers affair. It's problem solving. It's system design. It's understanding how each part needs to work, and how it will interface with everything else. It's critically thinking about everything from the software architecture behind the scenes, to the models you draw on the screen.

Tutorials are there to show you solutions, and walk you through the thought processes and steps behind them. The complex ones (how to make a top-down shooter) rarely show you really good solutions for implementing what you want to implement. They show you how to implement simple, solutions meant to work within the context of the lessons behind them. They're like parables. They're lessons that teach you an idea, or a set of ideas. And their core lessons are rarely related to their end goals (if they're good).

Set the game aside for a bit, and learn the engines, and the tools they rely on first. Then work on your idea for a game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    If you've never made a game before, a 3D top down game might be biting off more than you can chew.  I like this course for Unity https://www.udemy.com/unitycourse/
    It starts you off with a simple text base number guessing game, moves on to a branching text adventure and works its way up from there.  If you stick with it you'll make 9 games.

It's Unity not Unreal but it helps you understand the basics of programming.  I went from doing C# scripting in Unity to doing some C++ Arduino projects recently.