Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Graveyard Diorama

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
DweenieTodd polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys, hope everyone's doing good.

I'm going to be starting a small new project today. I want to continue improving my skills and i feel a diorama project could well do that. It gives me the opportunity to just create a few assets, but make them look amazing and continue with my development as a 3D Artist. I'm going with a graveyard diorama, more along the lines of a haunted one and have put together a small moodboard.

In terms of assets i'm going to create, currently these are what i have in mind:

- Cemetery Gate
- Cemetery Walls
- Dead Tree (Maybe up to 3 variations)
- Wall Railings
- Head Stones

I feel this should keep me busy and can make up a small scene. Perhaps i'll add more later down the line. My tools for the project will be Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop and Unreal Engine 4. I will hopefully indulge into Substance Designer, as i feel this could be an ideal time to learn the it. I do have a few questions i'd like some help on:

- Dioramas can be of any shape can't they? They don't necessarily need to be of a cylindrical shape?
- Vegetation such as grass and bushes i will add later on. However, my experience with this is vague, so some hints into the right directions would be helpful!

Some of the images i've collected are from projects. The bottom right image is from a project posted on Polycount a few years back, and i plan to use this as a starting point, so to speak. I will start blocking out soon!  

Replies

• DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got started on the blockout, and started piecing together how i'd like the diorama to go formed. Not everything has been blocked in just yet.

I don't expect too much feedback, as not much can really be given. I still have the headstones to block in, and to complete the dead trees (which i've started on.) The walls, railings and gates are all place holder atm, and will be pushed further. I'll be creating a whole new wall, before taking it into ZBrush and sculpting out the desired bricks. The gate and rails will more than likely be taken into ZBrush to be given some edge wear, cracks and crevices. The gaps are going to be filled with broken walls and railings, as well as some rubble/debris around it.

Not much feedback can be given, which is fine but it's always better to be safe so if any obvious problems are sticking out, feel free to give me the critique needed. In terms of height, i've gone by my height and i'm 5 ft 8 (which is around 178 cm tall) and built from there.  

• DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, been a while since i've posted. Heck with Fallout 4 out, it's been the main reason! xD Considering however, it's been mostly blocking out, there's not been much i could post. However i've done a fair bit more.

I've created some headstone models. These i will probably make duplicates of, take into ZBrush and do some sculpting onto to make some broken headstones.

I've also done some stone sculpting, for my walls. I've created a high poly wall, shown below.

The wall i plan to make another version, this being a broken wall with bricks missing. I'll also take this back into ZBrush and start to tear into a bit more, adding more definitive cracks and edge wear. I plan to do this once i've created the pillars, and if i decide, to make a stone floor although this would make no sense, as a cemetery floor typically is made up of grass and concrete. The pillars i will make up of the stones used for the wall. I created around 7-8 separate stones, which make up the wall. Here's a shot of the wall inside of ZBrush:

I still need to go into this a bit more, take another pass on some edge wear and tone down some of the noise frequency. Once i'm happy with all my stone work, only then will i start putting in some definitive details. Any critique is welcomed.
  • Samuraidragon13
    I like how your stone work is going.  What you could do to reduce the noise is just go over it with a flat or polish brush and just smooth out some of the areas.  Can't wait to see more.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Samuraidragon13 Thanks man! Yeah i plan to take the polish brush and really refine out the noise on the blocks. It's not anything particularly difficult, just extremely tedious! I can see at the end of this project i'm going to get sick of seeing bricks! xD
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Looks solid. I would add some damaged sections to the walls/pillars/fence to show character... then a few bricks laying near the damaged areas.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lamont I was planning on doing this ;) The bricks i've made up on the wall will be used to make up the pillars etc, before i really add some damage in. Thanks for the feedback though!
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! Hope the wonderful people of polycount are doing well ;)

It's been a while, been busy with games and art tests, still trying my hardest to get that break through into the industry! :(

I've been working on a pillar sculpt, using the same bricks i made for the wall to create said pillar. Here's some shots of the pillar in marmoset, along with the wall and the rest of the blockout:

Below is a shot of the pillar in ZBrush

I plan next to level out the frequency on the bricks, and really start going in and adding some finer details, the give the bricks some character. This also goes for the wall. This will then lead into me making variations of both pillar and walls.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good Morning folks :)

I've continued working on the cemetery some more. Some progression shots are shown below:

As you can see, generally the stone work is complete. The main structured of the scene is up and running now. I took the decision to change my railings, as i felt the previous straight railings were bland, and boring. I'm going to take the railings and gate into ZBrush, to add some scratches and chips into them. I've also created some lanterns, and these will be my source of lighting. I'll have these emit fire, through the use of wood burning ;)

I still have quite a bit left to do on the scene, before i start baking down. I need to create a destroyed pillar, push the broken railing some more and add some details to my stone work. 

The gravestones, i will start taking into ZBrush soon. Any feedback is more than welcomed!
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump

Wouldn't mind some feedback, before i start working on this again in a few hours ;)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My main feedback is to upload JPGs instead of PNGs. Why is everyone using PNGs these days anyhow? The file sizes are insanely large for web browsing.

About the art, it's coming along nice. I would get some ambient occlusion in there, would make it easier to judge.

We have some info on the wiki about making grass, and foliage.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/GrassTechnique
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Foliage
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick Thanks for the feedback. I normally just upload the screenshot from Marmoset, and default saves as a PNG, but i'll upload as JPEG from now on! I'll enable the ambient occlusion options inside of Marmoset, but for now this is all high poly. Once i've finished the high poly, i'll put this all into UE4 and create a simple light pass, just so there's a better overview of the scene :)
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, i've done a little bit more work to the project. I've also activated occlusion as suggested by @Eric Chadwick for you guys to judge a bit better:

So it's slowly getting there. At the moment, it's taking much longer than i would like, i'm quite demoralized atm, with wanting a job and stuff -.-

I plan to next create a destroyed pillar, another destroyed wall, add some wear and tear into the gates and railings. I'm going to add scratches and chips specifically to the railings and gates. A few bits of bobs here and there like rubble and such, and i'll have got to the stage my high poly is complete. Any C&C as always is welcomed.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, keep going! How are you planning to texture things, any reuse? That's an important skill to have for games. 
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick i'm assuming texture reuse, which in that case i will be! I'll be baking down once i'm happy with all my high poly assets. 

I'm going to have a play with substance designer for my texturing stage. Having seen several projects implement substance on polycount, i feel it'll be a good time to implement it for this. 
  • griffiti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    griffiti polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good so far! For me the thing that stands out the most is that everything is straight or at right-angles. Even deforming objects slightly so they are just off angle adds much more character to an otherwise boring mesh. You could also add some undulation to the terrain and put the graveyard on a slight slope. When you set dress on the uneven terrain with walls and props the whole thing will feel a lot more natural.

Substance is an excellent and fast way of texturing assets so get stuck in when you can! I'm just picking it up now and it's great :)

Try not to get disheartened. If you feel like the scene is too big and you're losing interest then make the scene smaller. Always better to have a small selection of assets finished to a high standard than loads at a lower standard. Have a look at Scott Homer's stuff ;)
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @griffiti thanks for the feedback! Of course how could i neglect that, nothing in the real world is ever straight! I'll go in with a noise brush, subtle but enough to deform my meshes!

Ahh yes, sounds like a good idea i'll keep in mind for the terrain! This'll be done once i've created all my assets but i'll definitely add some undulation to my terrain.

I suppose i'm more wanting a job in a 3D area, that i'm just getting extremely frustrating D: This was the idea for the diorama, a smaller scene with fewer assets done to a higher standard! 

• mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree breaking up the 90 edges on the stone work would help a lot. Looking good so far though. I would start looking at the lighting too its all very dull and flat at the moment and it can really help you get a feel for what you want the final scene to look like. 
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mats effect Thanks for the feedback! 

I plan to place this into Unreal Engine 4 once everything has been complete. I'll be going with a night time/moon atmosphere, but i agree that i should start lighting it up a bit at the moment. 

Once i'm back on the project, i'll start breaking up my stone work more, working on the 90 degree edge wear, deforming and adding some character to it. Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds good man. Its always good to get everything in engine anyway as early as you can to check everything goes together ok etc. 
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Personally I'd block out the majority of the scene first before really diving into the high poly stuff.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bedrock Generally speaking, most the scene is actually blocked out at the moment xD It's a small scene. The only real things i need to add it are some tree's, and a mini church and these are already blocked out in my Maya scene. I just need to push those particular assets further :)

• Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might be worthwhile to post the blockout! It's best to nail down the composition before you head into doing high poly stuff. Good scenes tend to already look promising even in their early blockout stages. Throwing high quality assets at a boring scene is just depressing.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bedrock Agreed, i suppose at this moment in time, it's a very bland scene. However, i did post some blockout images at the very top, along with a little moodboard of the kind of references i've gathered. As stated, this is more of a small diorama scene. I will take your advice though, and start adding blockout shots when i next work on the project!

• griffiti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think because the scene is so simple you could probably do a much higher res block out while still using primitives. I definitely agree with Bedrock, good scenes do tend to look more promising from their early block out stage. Things like your destroyed wall look to be based on your high res sculpt opposed to a block out mesh.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @griffiti @Bedrock I agree with you both. I'm glad you've pointed that out. How stupid of me to forget that i really should have given my blockout some composition, before going onto my high poly stuff. What i'll do, considering i'm using Unreal Engine 4 is to create the atmosphere i'd like (so a night time setup) and do some whitebox lighting, to give the scene some feel, as well as get people seeing my overall blockout. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I'll be starting some work again today, been feeling run down past few days, so haven't touched this!
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've taken the advice to show my blockout, and try to nail down the composition of my scene. Probably a good idea i got stopped earlier before going to far! So i've added my blockout to UE4, and here's what i have so far:

And here's a shot with the moon atmosphere i've created:

So here's what i'm feeling at the moment i need to improve upon:

Lighting & Atmosphere: I think i need to perhaps adjust the post process volume and lighting a bit more. Maybe adjust the LUT map i created for the post process.

Trees: These are purely placeholder at the moment! I'll be creating some much better ones. 

Church: To me, at the moment the church makes the scene look quite squashed. Maybe i could remove the church all together? The church is also an blockout and far from a final version.

Lanterns: The lanterns will have fire burning in them from wood (pine wood etc)

Terrain: I'll be adding some undulation to the floor. This will help the cemetery be on a slight slope, and get rid of the boring straight terrain i have at the moment.

• Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pointers in ugly bulletpoint form:
    -Consider picking one angle and setting up the scene around that camera (composition, light, shadows, etc). Imagine that this shot is the one people will first see on your website, artstation, etc. so pick the one you think is best. It's much easier to nail down an interesting scene that way and it will be easier to critique as well.
    -Check your scale. The height of the fence, church, church door and gravestones. There's a lot of irregularities. If you can't get accurate measurements then put a dummy/dude in the scene and compare the scale to references.
    -Add lights. I know you are planning torches but just adding simple point lights early on is a good idea to get a feel for it.

I wouldn't remove the church. It could be the focal point of your piece! The squashness is most likely scale related. Having less even ground is probably a good idea, definitely something I'd play around with even if you just do a couple variation sketches.
  • griffiti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, I agree with all of Bedrock's points. You could have a low angle camera looking up into the scene so you don't have to worry about what's on the other side of the wall. Definitely check the scale of things. It might be worth editing the block out in you're native 3D program before getting it into Unreal. That way you can make a lot of tweaks on the fly without the hassle of setting things up in Unreal. 
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll take those points on board and adjust my scale and so on. It was like 3am when i blocked in the church (bad idea) but having been up for a few hours, i can tell that the scale is horribly wrong particularly on the church. I've built everything around my general height, as an estimate (which is 178 cm) but kept in mind that the default Unreal character is 190 cm (i believe.) I'll go back and adjust all of this.

I'll take the suggestion you gave me @griffiti for the low angle camera, to get the atmosphere i've set into my scene. I'll tweak around with the positioning of the moon and so on. I suppose i was in a rush to start making the scene look somewhat more nicer with sculpting bricks out and what not, and forgot to nail down composition. It's a learning curve, and one i'll learn from! Thanks for the feedback!