Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jack Gleeson Sculpt AKA "Geoffrey from Game of thrones"

TKG
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
TKG polycounter lvl 2
REFERENCE

PROGRESS SO FAR

Feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    update guys :) would like feedback or any ideas about doing eyebrows and hair ?

• TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    oh also will be trying to do the Armour soon :) all feedback greatly appreciated :) 
  • TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    new update guys :) added fiber mesh eyebrows and used layers to close his eyes so when i re top i don't get any texture stretching on the eyelids :)

• Jakub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakub interpolator
    You lack the fundamental knowledge about the skull shape/proportions, muscles placement. You did quite a good job, because some likeness is there, but it would benefit from having the correct underlying structure. 

Study the planar shapes of the head, that will help you out.

• TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    thanks for the feed back i did initially start with them for the base in generic shapes as i worked from a sphere however i think i lost them as it when on trying to conform them to the reference images his face is a bit of an odd shape due to the roundness of his face how would you recommend placing the forms back in ?
  • TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    just a quick update i created some teeth for the sculpt :)
  • TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    new update testing out clothing on Geoffrey this is the initial shape through extracting i will be retopping in 3dsmax to see if i can improve the lines :)
    Reference 

• Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Need to begin projects like this in a much lower res. You went to high poly too fast and now it gives a lump feel to the character. Move down some subdivs and re-examine the facial structure

edit : also you only have 3 references, try building an art board of references.  The references you have aren't the highest quality you could get (Considering one is a mem) and are various lighting. 
  • TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    thanks dude for the feed back :) i will try and get rid of the lumpiness through doing to lower sub divs however the mesh typology is a little iffy in places due to that i started through dynamesh and i did use other references  btw i just put them up due to ease for people to know who im sculpting i did find it hard though to find a good side reference thanks for the feed back though much appreciated :)
  • TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    quick update got a good base on the clothing now haven't got back to the face yet :)
  • TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    update on the adjustments to the face trying to implement the basic forms of human anatomy as previous feedback told me that the sculpt was lacking as well I tried to fix the lumpiness in the face.
  • TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
  • TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    update more face adjustment and also definition to cloathing
  • silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big improvements but there's still proportional and shape issues. Lip shape needs refining and curving, they look horizontally small, eyebrows needs grooming, get some refs for both. The face looks a bit young and boyish so check the proportions related to the age of him at the point you are sculpting (against other men / teens / children). Skin is lumpy on cheek and temporal bone area (also it's a bit fat there). Nose has pinching next to nostril.
    Check out this stylised piece http://yoannlori.cgsociety.org/art/jack-artrage-gleeson-joffrey-baratheon-game-thrones-caricature-yoann-lori-2d-1271602
     by Yoann Lori. They've captured a better sense of the character with something that has less similarity to the actors real proportions than you have.
    Look at those forms that they've chosen to exaggerate.
    For the cloth you probably need more folds on the shoulder pads and an actual overlap on the sash rather than the sculpted on one that you have. Bulbous chest peeping out from under the cloth is weird
    Mixing fibremesh eyebrows and sculpted hair? Weird. All or nothing. Hair looks like forked mashed potato. Pinterest zbrush hair.
    Your last render looks worse, so use the previous shader approach (I assume you've selected the skin in the last one making it lighter.)
    Pot, kettle, black, but check your capitalisation, grammar and spelling, it sends the wrong message.
  • TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks Silvershrimp
    I will have a play with trying to adjust the issues and lumpiness to the character. the pinching of the nose is caused by the typology of the mesh as a result from Dynamesh use, I am having difficulty fixing it in all honesty. The eyebrows where created some time ago and due to the mash constantly being adjusted they have lost the form I will be redoing them soon. as for the hair the mesh at the moment is a placement holder i am currently modelling the crown after that I will be attempting to fibre mesh the hair.

The reference you have supplied for the exaggeration of proportions I will try to implement possible however I am trying to stick to a realistic likeness of the character/Actor but I do believe some minor exaggeration could help with the overall aesthetic. The cloth will need major adjustment for the the overall look I will attempt to implement much more severe folds however I still struggle a little with producing cloth. The torso shown underneath will be removed once the sculpt is finished is wont be part of the final piece.

Thanks for the feed back the more constructive criticism and improvement ideas I can get the better.
    p.s my spelling and grammar are terrible i will try and improve on my posts :)
  • TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    Update implementation of hair and crown.
  • TKG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TKG polycounter lvl 2
    Another update redone eyebrows and added lion broach to clothing :) will make final face adjustments tomorrow
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    The mouth area needs a lot of work.  There are problems with all of your facial landmarks but the mouth is the worst offender.  There is some resemblance but the anatomy is just not correct.  Try gathering reference on facial anatomy of kids his age and also just basic anatomy of the mouth muzzle for starters.