Home General Discussion

Learning 3ds Max after Blender

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
Hello good people,

I've been using Blender for 3+ years now but I recently started studying games design and we have to use 3ds Max at school. I don't want to go into how much I hate 3ds Max right now and I know that I need the skills for it in my arsenal simply because it's one of the standards out there.

What I'm curious about is if there's someone else who also moved to 3ds Max after Blender and if they've found any useful scripts or workflows that made them feel more at home.

I'm mostly interested in stuff that makes vertex/edge modeling easier; maybe also placing around pivots in edit poly mode on the fly. Thanks and I hope my query is not too vague.

Replies

• Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Hi man,

Max will grow on you :) ex-Blender user here too and although it's still in my library and I still use it sometimes I really like Max better one year or so after the switch, but yes, it took a lot of customization to get there.

For the pivot, I use Miauu's pivot placer. There are other version in his script packs, don't remember if it's pack 1 or 2 but regardless, all the stuff he does is awesome, I recommend you check it, it really speeds up your workflow a lot.
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, that pivot placer looks promising! I'll have a look at Miauu's other stuff as well
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    Hi, I totally disagree with @Mant1k0re  eheh, I don't really know what is your field and your experience on Blender, but I left 3DSmax after years because I felt really slow compared to Blender.

go back in topic:
    If you talking about modeling only, you don't really need to go deep in 3dsmax. Learning a new super-expencive modeling software with no benefits let you to un-focus on important stuff (aka produce good art).
    I agree that 3dsmax and even more Maya are a standard in the industry, so my suggestion is to invest a little effort on 3dsmax just to learn the basics and the interface to be sure to have no wall between you and the others.

I can say I worked with blender on pretty big projects without any problems, even the pipeline was Maya/3Dsmax.
    Basically because now days is normal to use different softwares to achive a result, think about Zbrush is normal to jump in there, than retopo probably in 3dcoat or topogun, paint in sspainter painter or MARI. than finally go in 3DSmax with a clean obj for the animators.
    So my idea is to use what you like to model and just jump in 3dsmax when you have to share with the others.

sorry for the poor english

cheers!
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @MmAaXx

thanks for your answer! I learnt a lot from your Juggernaut video back in the day:)
    I do have the same problem with Max, that it is way too slow and involves too much clicking with the mouse.
    As you said it will probably never become my go-to choice for modelling but also I don't want to be a hinderance to any production team.

I have already tried taking some models from Blender to 3ds Max and it seemed to work fine. Are there any scenarios where you need
    a special setup or extra care to make sure that others can pick up in Max where you left off in Blender? Are there scenarios where it is
    absolutely not feasible to exchange assets between these programs?

Thanks again for your input and congrats if you're working for FROM software now:)
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    No problem MMAAX, I respect everyone's opinion :) Please note I have not said I felt slower in Blender, it's naturally more customizable and you rely more on hotkeys in it, so I agree that generally it can be a faster experience depending on what you're doing. I had a hard time letting go of the axis contraints and type-in routine I liked so much in Blender - eg typing G, Y, 5 or R, Z, 90.

There are trade-offs when switching to Max and I ended up liking what I gained more than what I lost, here are a few things to consider:

-Spline workflow. Blender does a decent job supporting splines but Max is king there. I use splines for a lot of things when I model and Max has a lot of cool features around this.

-Scripts. Blender is open source, and there are a lot of scripts available for it but they are not maintained and often stop working with a new release. Max has scriptspot and a lot of awesome commercial scripts that are well-maintained. I have to quote Miauu again here.

-Shading. (Now I know some users like Pior mananged to change this, but I have no clue how). Default viewport shading in Blender is terribad, I simply cannot do hard surface work in it because I can't figure out if the pinching I'm seeing in it will be apparent further down the pipeline or not. It's probably an easy fix, but I haven't found any.

-Bad geo is allowed in Blender, not in Max. It's totally possible to create non manifold geometry in Blender and F works almost all the time. It won't happen in Max.

Now there are things I never got used to in Max...

-why the f@#$% can you not rotate around mouse cursor like in Blender? It's simply dumb that if you have no sub-object selected you will simply rotate around the origin.

-Also not being able to remap some fuctions like arc rotate is very annoying. And has you mentionned, it generally requires more clicks to get the work done - caddy-style UI for many features like Chamfer, Connect etc. is not cool.

-UVing is retarded. Having to use a modifier for it has got to be the most stupid thing ever.

-It takes about 5 minutes to boot on some days... and it crashes easily when you're pushing it. Blender is very stable.

So as with everything, it's not all black and white, but Max is definitely a very robust tool and I love it despite its flaws. I wouldn't discard it entirely just yet :)
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks! yeah I used to work in FromSoftware until september, now I started my own company to keep to work with FS and other companies around here ;) 
    we are looking for Blender users too! :D

Yeah, welll sometimes can happen that you can't export the model because there are modifiers/vertex colors/special setup involved, but in this cases is not even possible to change the topology or the uvs, so even you barely know the software it should not be a problem.
    Just be sure that before go home you have a copy of your file in 3dsmax format, so other people can open it.

On the other hand, before you give the data to the riggers you must clean up your model, without any history/modifier left and with the centers in the absolute center, so in this case I export to *.obj and re-import in the software to be sure to have just an index of vertices and normals :D  in this case importing a model from Blender is even cleaner.

;)
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    At this point I just assume I am the only one in the world who prefers the default shading of Blender over Max. (non textured)
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Robeomega said:
    At this point I just assume I am the only one in the world who prefers the default shading of Blender over Max. (non textured)
    I doubt it, even as a long time max user the shading has always felt a bit subpar to me compared to everything else.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    This Max script might be something transitioning Blender users would like: http://www.funkybunnies3d.com/tools/3dsmax/FB_SubobjPivot.mcr
    Select one or more components, run the script, now your 'working pivot' will be aligned to those components so you can rotate/scale other components from there.
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the answers guys. I'll try to find the balance between these programs:)