Home Technical Talk

3DS Max - Branches freeform

Hello Polycounters!

Not to sure if this is the right place but haven't had much luck anywhere else :/ 
Need a little help with the branches freeform. For some reason, the topology is created in a very weird manner, the edges are being rotated and geometry is flattening and cutting into others. I've used this tool before but now its acting like the image and I can't figure out why.

Any help would be much appreciated 
Thank you. 

Replies

• furys-death
  • Mark Dygert
    Yea it was a cool idea but it's dependent on the angle of the viewport in relation to the geometry so it mostly gives crap results that you end up undo'ing 10-15 times until you get something that sort of works. Because it's screen space dependent it makes it hard to get back to that angle, so you end up with a lot more trail and error if you rotate the screen to check something. 

Then you realize that the time it took to do all of those undo's and screen scrolling you should have just beveled/extrude the face.
    Or deleted the face and shift-extrude the edges.
    Or use splines with geometry turned on. 
    Or used loft.
    Or extrude faces along splines, so you have tapering.
    Or... any other technique that actually works as intended, the 1st or 3rd time but doesn't take 10-15 tries to get "meh that kinda works", heh.
  • Eric Chadwick
    I moved this thread out of 3D Showcase and into Technical Talk, since you're looking for technical solutions.