Home Technical Talk

What it takes to make such game?

Defonten
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Defonten polycounter lvl 7
Hi,

I was wondering what it takes to develop a mobile side-scrolling platformer like Manuganu 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqEwu2sc6XU

Being a 3d/2d artist, I assume that lots of coding skills required for that kind of work, right? Where to start from? Are there any free/commercial game engines for example where I can be more of a 3d/2d artist rather than the coder and just adjust/reskin/remodel worlds, make my own characters etc?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Unreal Engine 4 might be what you're looking for. Most of this can probably be achieved with Blueprints. You'd still need to learn basic coding concepts, but not necessarily how to actually write code as Blueprints are a Visual Method using "Nodes" and "Wires" to create code.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are also example side-scroller projects which come with Unreal and Unity, which you can use as a starting point, replacing all the art with your own stuff.

But if you need to edit the functionality, or add a new feature (super jump! teleport! ragdoll death!), then that's where you need to jump into the code side of things.

Both Unreal and Unity have visual script editors. Blueprints in Unreal, PlayMaker (etc.) in Unity. These go a long way, but eventually you end up wanting to write code to fix things.
  • Defonten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defonten polycounter lvl 7
    Got it! Thanks guys for your advice! I think I'll start with Unity 3D then. Already downloaded it and started to dive into docs!

thanks a lot!!