Home General Discussion

How long should it take to make an asset?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
So wanted to ask how long should I be taking to make an asset? Like a wood crate for example? Even something as basic as that or a table or chair I tend to give up on before even finishing modeling.

Frankly I hate failing or doing a crappy job at something and without knowing how long each part of the process should be taking me I just find myself thinking its taking too long so I must suck.

Trying to build a rifle I have this and I think after 8 hours or so of modeling it should of been finished completely textures and all, not still half modelled. 3rd image is the concept I found online I was trying to match.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    a rifle like that... hmm between three and five days... depends on the needs and pipeline...
  • peteed1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    a rifle like that... hmm between three and five days... depends on the needs and pipeline...
    Any chance you can break that 3 to 5 days down into times for each part of the process?
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    3 days high poly; 2 days low poly, uv unwrapping and layout, 3 days normal map baking and texturing.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    All of the above assuming you have the pre-requisite knowledge. If you have to learn don't be frustrated to take longer ;)
    People who are learning should never worry about speed, it hinders what you can learn a lot! (imo at least, but im just a moose)
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    day one reading pipeline docs... :cold_sweat: 
    day one blockout (feedback from artdir or client)
    day two proxy mesh (from this mesh you create the highres and the lowres version its near the final highress)
    day three highress final (feedback from artdir)
    day four lowres and uvs and first testbakes (going crazy cause nothing works like you thought)
    day five repair mesh and uvs bake and texture... (still not final cause to much to do)
    day six missed deadline cause you have vorgotten to create the LODs... ;(  
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    oglu said:
    day two proxy mesh (from this mesh you create the highres and the lowres version its near the final highress)
    day four lowres and uvs and first testbakes (going crazy cause nothing works like you thought)
    day five repair mesh and uvs bake and texture... (still not final cause to much to do)
    You missed the revision of the client that forces you to completly change the weapon because the artstyle changed from cyberpunk to steampunk :D
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    you are right...but it changed vom cyberpunk ot medieval... hahaha...
  • peteed1985
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    you are right...but it changed vom cyberpunk ot medieval... hahaha...
    Thats the revision where you tell them where to go isn't it? xD

Thanks guys I wasn't aware things should take quite that long. I was thinking 1 day an asset. No wonder my textures always suck. I was rushing every step with no idea why the thing looked worse and worse rather than better.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    If you're not in a production environment, worry about making things look good first.

As you do things over and over, you will get faster as certain things become wrote, and you pick up new tools/techniques.

Just try and make great looking pieces first, because nobody cares how fast you are if your work is of poor quality.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Tor Frick isnt a good example... He is one of the best out there... with thousands of hours modeling experience... and he is artdir, conceptartist and modeler in one person... He dont have to ask someone or match someones concept... just concentrate on modeling... most artists out there dont have that skillset... 

as said above it depends on the asset... if you are working on a hero asset it can take up to one month to finish it... with all the pipeline stuff like locators, LODs and different deeded versions/textures...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @oglu
    Exactly ! I feel like there is a bit of a distortion going on these days, which is probably caused by some of the training material being released recently showing 3d artists improvising stuff on the fly. Now of course I absolutely love watching videos of artists jamming like that and producing great assets in a very short timeframe, but this is very far from the reality of working at most studios where an established concept department provides designs to be followed precisely.

I actually believe that both methods are valid, as shown by the fantastic art direction in the recent Wolfenstein titles, and I do wish more games were done that way. But this is indeed far from the norm since it requires such a high level of team synergy. @peteed1985 , @Shinigami : I hope this clarifies things a little.

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    really depends on the asset I figure, that and my experience with doing them or something like it before, like right now im advancing my external modular building design so I have been working with getting all my grids in sync, looking at the various modular theories, selecting a workflow, setting up zbrush tiling planes, testing bakes to make sure there's no seams in my process, researching buildings from my books and google earth, snappshotting what I like etc.

when you are exploring something new to you its bound to take longer, and you can always run into issues, some assets I will bang out in a day, straight forward Geometry, ive done a ton of times before, then others I might take a week if theres say a lot of complex moving parts, or I am dealing with shapes or styles well outside of my comfort zone.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    .Wiki said:
    oglu said:
    You missed the revision of the client that forces you to completly change the weapon because the artstyle changed from cyberpunk to steampunk :D
    also the part were your art director/client didnt hav time to give you feedback that day so you had to wait an extra day pretty much making up stuff to do untill you get the feedback :P