Home General Discussion

Time consuming

Hey, guys! It seems like I haven't a clear solid question, but here it is:
I'm a freelancer (3d artist) and working for outsourcing company for several years. There is always a different kind of projects, and my average rate is about 130$ per day. As it stated. But for some reason, every time I work on project, it always takes more time, then it was given. So my rate falls off, I'm in hurry, stressed, and don't sleep enough.
The main reason for that, as I see it - I always trying to make every new asset better then previous, and I can't do it ordinary normal. I need to be satisfied with the final result. With that, I always trying to learn something new, so everytime I start new project I'm watching tutorials and learning new software or methods. 

So my problem is - my work takes all my time. Also I have a girlfriend, nearly a wife, and she wants my attention too. And with that I really want to do some art for myself and portfolio, cause my employer usually doesn't gives me a permission to post my stuff anywhere, and I'm a little scared about the time when I'll lose my current job, because nobody knows me outside of my company. 

Maybe the solution would be to do my work without discovering new techniques, and learn new  stuff in my personal time. But even with that, I'm perfectionist and I really can't say myself "stop, it's ok enough". So I wake up, sit on my chair and working till next morning. 

As as I said earlier, there is no a strong question, but do any of you have or had same problem? How did/do you deal with it? 

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Just FYI, if you're in the US or western Europe, $130 a day is a really low rate.

The answer to your issue is to work smarter not harder. Break down your workflow and see where most of the time is going. Log how much time you spend doing each task. Then, look into how you can cut that time down, where you can automate steps with scripts. Where you can save time by using better tools.

Also, if you're consistently working overtime, that's probably a sign that you're under-estimating the time it takes to get the work done, and you should start adding extra time to your estimates. 
  • vmrnv
    @EarthQuake thanks for the reply!
    Yes, I know that 130$ is low rate in US, but I live in Russia, and working outsource for european company. Don't quite understand, what income I can expect here?
    "
    The answer to your issue is to work smarter not harder" - great advice, thanks. I really need to do something like that. If it's not a secret, how much hours do you working per day?

As for extra time - I think I can only agree with stated working hours and take a job, or disagree and get nothing. And I don't really think it's very under-estimating, that's just me - I'll take all available time to get best result, when other artists can achieve acceptable results and stop there.
  • [Deleted User]
    In time you'll regret working long hours and neglecting those close to you. Life's short man! Your being underpaid, working unpaid overtime and not being able to show your work! Your position will most likely not change if its been 7 years. Probably time to move on.  Maybe get an in-house job somewhere? A lot of studios offer relocation.
  • vmrnv
    @3DARTIST
    Great nickname, by the way!
    You see, I know several artists from my company, and it seems like they haven't such issues with time or money. And I'm pretty sure we have the same conditions. That's why I'm looking for the source of problem in myself.

But maybe you're right! Sadly, In my country there is not interesting gamedev companies. I was thinking about try to move in Canada for example, there is a lot of great companies, but for that I need to know English well, which I think I don't. And I'm not sure I'm good enough, so there employer will choose me instead of hiring local artists. By the way, I'm Russian and I worried it could be a problem - in my opinion foreign people usually don't really like us :)

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Artists and studios dont care where you are from at all, only governments do, and they usually make it difficult for local businesses to hire overseas talent. The only way you will get a job in a developed country (and I use that term loosley) is to have a very good folio. You cant develope a good folio if you dont have time to make one and you cant change your current situation if you have to rely on one client. Other artist usually never tell the truth about how long they work on something so dont believe everything you hear. I know that the polycont wiki has excellent info on character art production timeframes.  cant iimagine there isnt info on props and levels.

If I was you I would inform your client that with the current setup you are losing money. Before you do though make a calculation of how much money you need to live at a reasonable level per year. Calculate what your costs are. Calculate how many hours you can work in a year and then it is simple to arrive at an hourly rate.  You should charge enough to survive and still have a life. You should know exactly how many hours it takes you to make an asset (if not then record it with the next job). Arrive at a reasonable asset cost and give that to your client. Once you have lost the client get a job doing anything you can to keep a roof over your head and one that allows you to build a folio in your free time. Keep recording the hours your free work takes per item to get an exact idea what you must charge. If you want to know how slow you are check the hourly rates of artists in your area by finding a creative artists (guild)  near you or the nearest capital city that has a price list. If you are too slow your rates will be too high. keep practicing to increas your speed and research the work studios in developed (there is that bloody word again :) ) countries are buying. Match the speed and the quality and bingo the world is yours!

What you get out of this is:
    A folio you can use as promotion.
    Work examples at competitive level.
    Work speed at competitive levels because by now you know exactly how long your work takes and what you need to be paid for it.

If you get an offer of freelance work in the meantime never refuse it, rather inform clients of a realistic cost and timeframe. Businesses always try to get products too quickly at a too low rate, that is worldwide. It is better to spend time producing better art and hunting for better clients than it s to be stuck in a bad situaton where you only go backwards.

Like my old man said: never be too busy to make money.

Cheerio
  • vmrnv
    Thanks, guys, for such big and detailed answers!
    @kanga gives me even more like an instruction though :smile:
    Thanks, you give some great ideas! 
    Well yes, that's it. I can't easily quit my current situation, cause I need certain income for a living.
    "never be too busy to make money" - it means "don't spend too much time on this"?

@Dustinbrown thanks for advice! I use ManicTime (http://www.manictime.com/) - great little program with huge amount of statistics and information about PC usage. But I always forget about it :)
    But is not it difficult to find average time per asset or various stages? - Every new asset is different, usually asking for a different pipeline. Every asset asking for a different quality and amount of details. I don't say I'm not agree with you, but it seems I need to spend several years with timer to find an average time :) But maybe I just need to start and I'll get it.

I spoke with employer yesterday and we discussed the option, where I'll temporarily move from 3d artist to QA manager. I think it can help me - I'll spend a certain amount of hours per day on the job, and probably I'll find some time for personal work. Another positive side of it - I'll have an ability to study other artists work. Plus I could improve my own "attention" skills and decrease amount of various mistakes.

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    vmrnv said:
    "never be too busy to make money" - it means "don't spend too much time on this"?

It means it is more important to work smart than it is to work hard if money is an aim.  After reading my reply back it does come over as instructional. I should have said it is what I would do in your situation, not that it is what you have to do!

Cheerio

• vmrnv
    Oh, I see. Thanks!